The Lupus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I am new to this site (joined today).
My SLE has flared up causing me a lot of discomfort, I am waiting for my hospital appointment. In the meantime, I am getting letters from my employment about attending Sickness interview...it's making me feel more depressed, what shall I do?

·
Registered
521 Posts
Hello Honey,

The company my husband works for has a Wellness program. They have a nurse that gets to know your case and tries to help you manage your pain, meds and doctor appts. Whatever else i don't know.

I never took advantage of this offer, simply because i didn't want to confide in or work with a stranger in managing my health. Especially someone who does not have my illness.

I guess i should have been more grateful for having such a program, but it just seem like i would be under the watchful eye of big sister, hurding me like part of a group of cows, where the insurance company wants me. Where ever that is.

if it is mandatory for you to attend this sickness interview, then i guess you have no choice. Maybe you can inquire a bit more about what this interview. What will it acheive, especially for you? How confidential is it? Will your doctor need to give them reports? etc.....

But telling by your response to the letters you are recieving,, it looks like you have already made your choice. If there is an option and you don't want too participate, just send them a Thanks, but No,Thanks letter.

Good Luck

·
Registered
81 Posts
hi honey

honeygirlcad;522896 said:
Hi everyone, I am new to this site (joined today).
My SLE has flared up causing me a lot of discomfort, I am waiting for my hospital appointment. In the meantime, I am getting letters from my employment about attending Sickness interview...it's making me feel more depressed, what shall I do?
Hi
I read your post and had to answer, i too had to attend a sickness interview last year at work,like you i was worried but it was only to ask if they could be of any help etc.
They made me coffee and just asked me how i was getting on financialy and said that occ health would be calling me, when i went for the interview i did ask for representation as they said i could do this i must admit it did help.
Have they asked you if you need any one their with you,as i would reccomend it as you then have support and they can help with answers.
I would not worry too much just think of it as going to see your mates but having a chat with the boss.
Hope this helps you
Hugs Sandy:)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sickness

Hi there, thanks for your comforting words.

In the letter they said I can bring a union representative ( I am not in a union) and it's a 'Stage One Sickness Interview'.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Hi there,

Just to say that you do come under the Disability Discrimination Act. However, your union rep should know all about this if they are any good. It is probably just a meeting to follow their sickness procedure, don't worry though, just stay calm as your health is the most important thing. Let me know how you get on.

Kind regards

Lupo30

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi -Im new here too and just read your message -
As far as I know you may bring a friend or family member if you want and/or dont have a union rep.
My sis had to go for company interviews when she went off work sick and although she was in a union, I accompanied her...check out what your rights are with Labour Relations or Citizens Advice. Hope this helps :)

·
Registered
81 Posts
hi honeygirl

I forgot to tell you before but after i had my second sickness interview i decided i did not want to go to work to see them,my letter said if i did not go to them they would come to see me.
I decided to let them do that as i felt i wanted the meeting on my turf, twice they rang to say that they would send a car for me,i refused as i was told by cab to let them come and see me at my home, they even offered to be with me if i so wished.
I was glad that i decided to make them come to my house as it seemed more relaxed and we could talk more and the only people to hear was my boss and the area manager also his secretary to take the minutes of the meeting.I just thought maybe you should have them at your home instead of going to them.
By the way at the time their was nothing wrong with my legs.
Hugs Sandy

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
Make sure that you know what you do and don't have to disclose to your workplace.

Where I live, my workplace are not entitled to know my diagnosis, just whether or not I am medically fit for work (which I'm not, but that's a different story hahaha).

I have an incredibly supportive workplace, and they do know my full health status because they have become friends, but they are not entitled to know just because they are my employers. They really go the extra mile for me, and have granted me additional paid sick leave on many occaisions, plus doctors appointments in work time are never a problem.

I would really make sure that you know what you have to disclose, and what you don't have to disclose, then you can make informed decisions about how much you want to say.

best of luck with it all

raglet

1 - 8 of 8 Posts