The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all.
I was diagnosed with mild sle two years ago at st thomas. I currently take sertraline and plaqeunil daily and have been relatively well. Until this weekend when I had a terrible headache and have since had pains in my forehead, nose, cheeks and behind my eyes. I feel very giddy and so tired and tearful and feel as if something keeps running down my throat. Mr dr has said it is a sinus infection and prescribed antibiotics. I am on my 4th day of them and still feel rough. Is this a flare or has anyone had a sinus infection and felt the same. I just want to feel better. Help please. xx

·
Registered
301 Posts
Hi Angie

Welcome to the site!

I'm not a doctor but I have had a sinus infection in the past with symptoms similar to yours and it was nothing to do with lupus. I do know some people do have sinus inflammation as part of the disease and have different treatment. Lupus has many faces but we can still get non-lupus problems :hehe: .

I hope you are feeling better soon and hopefully others can give better advice than me.

Love Judi xx

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Judi.

Thank you for you reply. I just hope my antibitics start working soon, as my life seems to be on hold again waiting to feel well. Do you find that illnesses take longer to clear up than they would in someone without Lupus. PS. my nose has now gone freezing cold to the touch and my ears have blocked up. xxxx

·
Registered
301 Posts
Hi Angie

I am sure that the antibs will kick in soon. A colleague of mine was prone to these infections and she usually started to feel better after 5 or 6 days. It depends on the infection and whether you have the right antib for it.

I find that infections take longer to clear up - I've just got better from a four-week cold!!!! (rest of the family only took 3 weeks :hehe: ).

It also depends on the medication you are taking. When I was on prednisilone I caught most of everything going around and had a couple of kidney infections. The chemist in me thinks that immunosuppression drugs like methotrexate would impede the fighting off of opportunistic infections, like colds, coughs and such like.

I have not any experience of the meds you are on but I am sure others on here can put in their twopence worth.

Hope you're feeling a bit better this evening. Has your GP recommended a steam inhalation? It might help with the congestion and warm up the circulation (might warm your nose too ;) ).

Take care

Love Judi xx

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
You really should be noticing some improvement after 4-5 days if it's the right antibiotic and if is a sinus infection. You may want to call the doc back to let him know there is no improvement yet.

Additionally, there are over the counter medications that I have been advised to take to help thin the secrestions and clear the ear tubes out (pseuodephedrine and Mucinex). They do seem to help.

Hope you're feeling better soon. Those are the **exact** symptoms I get when I have a sinus infection. If it's not treated appropriately and quickly then it will also lead to an ear infection in my case.

Hope you're feeling better soon. I would inquire about additional medications or switching antibiotics soon if not!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi thank you for your advice.

I am going back to the dr today to see what he can do for me. My dr is always a bit vague when i talk about Lupus, but i will eventually educate him. I have taken an asprin this morning which has eased the pains in my head, but I feel really giddy and in as if i am in another world (hopefully you know what I mean), I am sure I have had a kind of migraine aswell and this is the after effect (6 days on). I have felt like this before and it takes weeks to clear the foggy effect. Any advice on how to speed it up a bit, anything to clear the fog. XXXXXX

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Hi Angie,

I'm sorry you are feeling rotten, I'm just getting over a sinus and ear infection. The migraine you are feeling could be from the sinus pain.

I found inhaling with menthol crystals really helped to clear the congestion. I also use Olbas or eucalyptus oil on my pillow at night.

I hope you get some relief soon.

Hugz, :hug:

Pam xxx

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hello. i have seen my dr and he has prescribed asprin and stemetil to ease the giddyness. has anyone taken this. does it work. xx

·
Registered
301 Posts
Hi Angie

I have had it in the past and it did help. Hope you are on the mend soon.

Judi xx

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Hi Angie,:hugbetter:
I have chronic sinus infections(and have since I was 13yrs old) and sometimes it will take 2 course of anti-biotics. I also use a nasal spray. I also use Vicks ointment which is is otc menthol ointment. If that all still doesn't get rid of the headache then I add sudafed and ibuprofen. I don't know what the 2nd drug your dr rx'd, but I am sure he is on the right track.:)

I hope you start to feel better and that you get rid of those awful headaches.

Hugs,
Becca:love:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts