TheLupusSite.com banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,
Just a quick question, i suffer from bad sinus pain mainly when i flare. I use inhaler,pain relief, ect, but was wondering if any one has had any type of treatment for this that helps. many thanks
june:rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
I will use cool compresses; heat tends to make the pain worse for me. I don't take NSAID's anymore but they may help those that can still take them.

However, my sinus pain is always a sinus infection. I just started antibiotics yesterday for another one and already better today. Are you sure the pain is due to lupus flare - or could it be something else?

·
Inky
249 Posts
Hi June, I get sinus pain a lot and like you especially if I flare a bit but also whenever I get a cold/infection or go in a smoky atmosphere. I find that burning eucalyptus (aromatherapy) oil in an oil burner really helps clear my head and reduce the pain. You can also get menthol crystals from the chemist that you can dissolve in a hot bowl of water and put your head over it and inhale. Not described that well, bit tired. Anyway do try it it does work for me. Oh and also if you don't mind oil marks on your pillow you could put a drop of eucalyptus on that, or perhaps on cotton wool under your pillow. Hope this is of use, kind wishes, Sara

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
one word, doxycycline.

It's the only thing that works for me. I have aplastic sinuses (they didn't form correctly) so I get eternal infections.

See your doctor and see if it is an infection.

feel better soon

raglet

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
My one word is: z-pack! Only 5 days of taking pills (just once a day!) and it's amazing the difference in just 24 hours. But of course, this only works if it is due to sinus infection!

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Everyone, I will give this a try ! My GP says she doesnt think it is an infection, mainly because i get it so often and even after antibiotics . most times i get painful sores:eek: up inside my nose too. i also am really dizzy all the time. Hope your all doing well
june

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Hi June,

I used to suffer terribly from sinus in my younger day, long before Lupus so I sympathise :hug:

I found that the old tried and ture inhaling steaming water with vicks or something similar in it helped clear them ,,,,,,,,,,,,,, I had to do that several times a day.

The sores you describe are very common in Lupus btw, they are just like the mouth and vaginal ulcers some of us get. For those, I generally use a saline spray (which may even help your sinuses) and then I coat the inside of my nose with vaseline, to give them a chance to heal. Otherwise they just keep forming a scab (yuk) and seem to never heal.

love
Lily

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Hi June,
I have suffered with sinus issues since I can remember.
I love steam with vicks, saline spray and now they have what is called a "netty pot" which is to help clean out your sinuses.
When I do get infections I use the "z-pack" also because it works so fast and now they have a generic so not so pricey. I also use a steroid inhalr-Nasalcrom. I hope this helps!

Good Luck,
Becca

·
Registered
138 Posts
How can you tell the difference?

Hi there
How do you know if it's infected sinuses or not? I seem to permanently have a headache round my eyes, forehead and bridge of nose, and it hurts more when I bend over. I need to blow my nose a lot. It's really getting me down but I don't know whether antiobiotics would help, given how often I get this, or whether should just be putting up with it. I can't really take nsaids as have taken them for so long that my stomach doesn't take to them! I have SLE and am on plaquenil. Actually, the best painkiller I ever had was celebrex but I (at the time) thought that it was making the sinus stuff much worse, but maybe it was just a coincidence. Anyone else had this, and have any tips for how to tell if it's an infection or not?
xHatty

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have a lot of trouble with my sinus and I take Cinuforce wich really helps me.
I also use a creme since my nose on the inside is very dry.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
That kind of pain/pressure and nasal discharge that lasts over 2 weeks is more likely than not due to sinus infection. Doctors have their own ways of determining this, such as if it is painful to tap over a sinus cavity, and even a flashlight. Ultimately a CT or MRI scan can also easily find a sinus infection. I suffered from the same symptoms as you for months before I had an MRI exam (for constant headache mostly combined with concerns about lupus involving the brain) and it was only then that they determined that it was in fact a sinus infection causing much of my symptoms!

I didn't get on the right antibiotic though until a month later when my 1 year old daughter had to go on a 3rd level antibiotic for a resistant ear infection (& my doc put me on the same thing she went on at the same time!). Thankfully that finally eased my symptoms. Ever since then though, I have found myself very prone to these sinus infections. At least now it's easier to get the antibiotics!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts