The Lupus Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

Hope you are doing ok?

I am really having problems with my sinus; my nose always blocks up, there is blood in it and when I blow it blood comes out. I have a huge pressure in my nose, behind my eyes and on the back of my head. Has anyone else got this problem or had this problem before......

Sam

·
Registered
4,369 Posts
Sam,

You need to get to the GP and get the symptoms checked on!

Sinus problems can lead to Sinusitis, which in turn often needs antibiotics.

Now I'm not saying this is your problem, but go to GP for them to assess!

·
4,435 Posts
I have had severe sinusitis, when bending over to pick stuff up off the floor the pressure was severe and very painful... I waited for about 10 days before I gave up and went and got some antibiotics... I was solid by then, in a lot of pain etc etc it took a longer course to sort me out, so you had better get yourself looked at...hope you feel better soon. :)
Claire X

·
Lisa_S
441 Posts
Hi Sam - coincidentally, I just made an appointment with my GP for later today because I think I have a sinus infection. No blood, but lots of pain and pressure. And I can't take any of the OTC meds for sinus pain because they're all bad for kidneys. :sad:

I find a lot of my colds turn into bacterial infections of one sort or another (coughs or sinus infections). Not sure if it's lupus related or not, but I generally just go in if I have a cold that hasn't cleared up in 7-10 days, or if my symptoms suggest it's not just a virus. I'm not currently on immunosupressants, but I find when I am, this happens just about every time! Occasionally I have blood from sinus infections or colds too, but I think it's because the nasal passages are so irritated from all the blowing.

I'd think you should probably see your GP to ask about it. It's possible that you have some kind of chronic sinus infection, particularly if you are on immunosuppressants.

It really makes it hard to concentrate and think - I hope you get some relief soon!

Lisa

·
11,409 Posts
Yes, I have sinus infection right now. I am on methrotrexate and was told to be on the causes side when on it.
The antibiotics I am taking has now given me the diarrhea.:(
Oh the joy of side effects.

Take care,
Lyn

·
Registered
314 Posts
I used to have severe sinus infections. The pressure and pain in the back of my neck was the worse. I have SLE in my lungs. My pulmonary doctor told me to use saline nose spray 4 times a day. This has really helped to eliminate the sinus infections. She said I could buy the more expensive, Ocean brand, but the less expensive work just as well. When I did get infections, I would always have to take amoxicillin to cure them. Feel Better, Rosie

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hi Sam
My sinuses are always bad so when I finally made the connection with Sjogren's Syndrome I couldn't believe how many people put up with the same thing.
I ventured into a Sjogren's Syndrome forum where one popular solution was to use a Netti Pot to flush the sinuses which sounds totally foul, takes a bit of practice but definately brings some relief.
On good days I can breathe through both nostrils but that's quite rare. Add a cold or hayfever to the mix and I end up completely bunged-up. That in turn affects my sleep, which affects my aches, my mood and so on.....

I really hope that you do find a solution to this miserable problem and let us know how you get on!
Freya

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Sam,

It sounds like you have a nasty sinus infection and that unfortunately means a visit with your primary. You might have Sinusitis and need an antibiotic. This is the perfect time of year for that. Sadly, my granddaughter has that right now as well. You might also need to add a humidifier to your bedroom/house to put some moisture in the air. That sometimes stops the blood. Normally you get blood when your nose is terribly dried out but then again it could mean something else. Best to get it checked by the doctor.

Good luck,
Nancy

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
Hi there and so sorry your dealing with this.
I have had 3 surgeries on my sinus's so I understand what your dealing with and it is not fun.
I will always deal with sinus stuff as every surgery has left me right back where I started and nothing seems to work.
Honestly, I probably have a sinus infection most of the days in a year.
I do hope you get this under control. Abx work well for most people to clear it up.
Let us know how you get along moving ahead.

·
The Other Illinois Tammy
1,193 Posts
Sam,
It is most likely because of the change in weather and a hot shower, I mean a real hot shower. The blood is from the dry air and the lack of fresh air for the most part, the hot steam helps loosen all of it up and shrinks the swelling of the sinus'. It will help you to feel better and ease your mind that there is nothing to be worried about. If it does not ease up in the next week it is worth a call to the doctor you may need what is called sea salt to spray up your nose to help. Have a good easter and I hope you feel better soon.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
About 90% of everyone I know in Calgary has sinus and breathing problems right now because of the *mould* released when the snow has melted/is melting. My wife with asthma and no Lupus is one of the 90%; so am I. Some *&^% mould stole a lot of oxygen from our atmosphere. In a few weeks all will be normal again. At least as regards oxygen.
Happy breathing, Folks!
Douglas+

·
Pollianna
485 Posts
Yeah me too, severe sinus pain and also pleurecy at the same time when I was in flare. I have had it so badly that it's made me cry and I never cry. it's a nasty pain. Hope you feel better soon. Have you tried a real hot curry? i find when my chest's tight and my sinus is playing up a hot curry melts everything away and clears all of my airways. No scary side effects either xx

·
11,409 Posts
I have been on antibiotics since last Monday (4/6) and I have still getting those horrible sinus headaches.:(

I hope we all feel better soon.

Take care,
Lyn

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you

Hi All,

Thank you so much for all your posts.
I hope that you are all well?

I just got back from my doctor and he has put me on medication for my sinuses.

It is unbelievable how much Lupus impacts. I got diagnosed in Jan 09 and can't believe how much is related to it.

Hoo hum - one step at a time and all that.

Always remaining positive Sam

1 - 14 of 14 Posts