TheLupusSite.com banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last year I went from being a hospital floor nurse to the Quality department. I feel so much better getting away from all the standing, bending, running, lifting, pushing, dressing :jab:.... you get the idea.

So my desk is in a department that is not Quality but many places are this way, space sharing.

About two weeks ago i hear that the department is going to move everyone around. I think so they can all get along better. I sit in a room with two volunteers and two employees that are great. I have been told that i will be moving, up front. This up front area has full ceiling to almost floor windows that are approx five feet from where my desk will be. The last time any new blinds or window film was placed was in the 1980's!!!!! I am just betting that there is no UVA or UVB blocking going on!

I talked with the director of that area, my director and the employee health nurse. I have printed out all information about sun sensitivity and my doctor is writing me a letter for them about my lupus, sun exposure and what it does to a lupus person. They seem interested in doing the right thing but until it is done i cant help but worry.

I went up there at different times during the day and the sun exposure is pretty much the whole day. Now the view is great, park, fountain etc... :dancing:

BUT, I know that the issue is who will pay for this uv blocking. My boss said they should pay as they are the ones moving me out of my office. I tend to agree, but someone will have to do something before i let them move my desk :tantrum:

·
The Other Illinois Tammy
1,193 Posts
Weese,
You are right about the sun and if they can't fix it or don't want to they should leave you were you are. I know this is a hard time for you right now. I hope they do the right thing for you. Let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Hi Weese,
I am very sorry that this stress is happening. Have you pointed out the accommodations required by the American Disability Act, and the responsibility of the employer. Since you are not currently at risk, they need to rethink why they are asking you to put yourself at risk. I would check out the ADA and see how it applies to your situation.

Good luck,
Sally

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
Hi Weese,

I'm sorry to hear that you have this worry which is, paradoxically, "clouding" your enjoyment of your new position.

I think that you have reacted well and done what you needed to do but, as you say, I would stand firm and refuse to let them move your desk unless UV blocking has been sorted.

Hope it goes well for you, and if it doesn't, don't move!!! literally!

hugs :hug:
Katharine

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Hello Weese,
Don't back down or you will be ill! UV blocking will be much cheaper than having you sick. I wonder if it is imperative that you move to this position, there are probably others who would love to sit there.
x Lola

·
Registered
642 Posts
Hmmmmm,:mad:
If you had a physical/visible disability you would not be asked to work in an area with access problems or be asked to contribute to making an area accessible. To me this is a similar thing, the only difference being the general ignorance about Lupus and the sun.

Maybe your rheumy would be prepared to write to whoever to explain the dangers or perhaps contact occupational health dept yourself.

Good luck with this........it's a tricky one.

·
Banned
808 Posts
The thing that makes me cross is that this is probably not a complex nor particularly expensive thing to resolve, and I have no idea what help or the legislation is where you are, I have some issues at work at the moment with unfiltered flouro lights being about a foot above my head if I sit at my desk. I hope that this is something that you cn get resolved, and I remeber how tough nursing as for you and how much better this position is for you, so it would really suck if this could not be sorted for you. Sorry not to have any great ideas though, but all best wishes x

1 - 7 of 7 Posts