The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I was told on Friday that I am a "strong glaucoma suspect". I have been a severe myopic since age 4, had a radical radial kerotonomy in 1995, with a 2ndary correction in 1996. But for over ten years my glaucoma "puff" tests have been consistant at 13 to 15 points. On my March exam both eyes registered 20 points, that great a leap makes you suspect. On Friday I had more tests, which confirmed the 20 point reading. I have no family hx of glaucoma, but then again there was no hx for any of the other stuff I been dx'd with in the past 4-5 yrs. Does my having SS have anything to do with increased chances or is it the corticosteroids? I am still brain foggy/confused due to the serotonin thing so I don't know if Iam even making the right questions. Anyone else with glaucoma thrown in the mix?

Michelle:eek:

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
I think most likely it's the steroids; I have not read about it being related to Sjorgen's at least.

Be sure to breath out while they are measuring the pressure. My husband has readings in the low 20's to mid 20's, but the doctor's do not treat him for it because he becomes anxious at that part of the exam and fails to breathe out which elevates the pressure substantially. He is also apparently just one of those that has had high pressures since a teenager when he first needed glasses, another reason they are not concerned in his case.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Maia,
Thanks for your response. My eye doc told me about the exhale thing and made sure I did it while performing the tests (in case I forgot) lol! Unfortunately for me, my case is complicated by a periphial field loss due to a stroke I had in 1985. So these measurements are more difficult as a result. However there was no new field loss compared to previous years, so I am most happy about that. Any further field loss and I would have to give up driving. A priveledge I had to give up for 19 yrs. Talk about having your "wings" clipped! :sad: It was only through medical advances and DMV updating visual testing which allowed me to get my license back. Funny thing, one of the most common eye drops used are pilocarpine. Which I already take due to decreased salivary production. A shame it doesn't work for both.

Thanks again,
Michelle

1 - 3 of 3 Posts