The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
It's diagnosed much like lupus is - with a combination of symptoms you experience, signs your doctor can see, and bloodwork/biopsy results.

Dryness of eyes/mouth are common symptoms, a biopsy of mouth glands will often show typical changes in Sjorgens, a bone dry Schirmers test or Rose Bengal staining test positive for dryness issues, in combination with constitutional symptoms common in Sjorgens all point to Sjorgen's.

The blood test results that are commonly positive in Sjorgens are SSA &/or SSB (& are only somewhat specific for Sjorgens), although these antibodies need not be positive in order to be diagnosed with Sjorgens.

The bottom line is treatment is similar to lupus treatment, with Plaquenil being a baseline treatment although it often takes 2 years to notice improvement with the dry eye issue with Plaquenil. Otherwise, you are already getting symptomatic relief. You may want to inquire about Restasis eye drops, these helped me immensely with my dry eye (& I have not been diagnosed with Sjorgen's either - dry eye can be symptoms of lupus too).

Good luck!

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
Restasis isn't a pain drop - it can actually increase the amount of tears the eye produces. It helped me quite a bit within a few weeks time. I think it helps about 50% of those who try it, hopefully it will help you too!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts