TheLupusSite.com banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
4,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody... just wanted to ask a question about sun sensitive skin flares. Last December I had a massive flare whilst in the Caribbean but after I had been out there 16 days. I had started on F50 but as advised by the lupus clinic reduced to 25 whilst there; it was unknown if I was photosensitive at this time. Day 16 it started upper body, then progressively covered all of me over the next week. I wondered if anybody else has experienced this without any pain? Throughout the rash period, apart from the itching and the embarrassment! I was totally pain free, my joints etc felt ok and though I did have a Urine infection felt well... Just wondered if these sorts of flares are usually associated with increased pain/sickness/feeling bad etc etc... ?
Claire X

·
Registered
279 Posts
Hi Clare

Im still learning to heretoo

Yesterday was a hot one put my factor 60 on tried to keep out of the sun. But this morning I have this blotchy itchy rash:eek::eek::eek: on my chest and back.

So I need a poncho or High neck long sleeved shirt next time. Or B a moonlight gardener :rotfl:

Take care keep well

Dixy

·
The Other Illinois Tammy
1,193 Posts
claire,
I have the rash when I get in the sun. This is how mine works for the most part. I can be under a tree and clothed completely, but 10 minutes will cause me to have rash that is 2 different leisons. One of them are blister like with a clear fluid in them, the other one is like a pimple blister with white stuff that comes out. Most of the time they are side by side on my body but have had some cases when one is on one part of my body and the other is elsewhere.

The rash itches so bad and when you itch it, it does hurt (more of a sting or burn feeling). It is so personally imbearencing to walk around like you have chicken poxes. I have a cream that helps with the burning and itching but it take steriods to get rid of it for me. I have never had a rash that did not hurt but I am sure that it is possible. As you know it is so different for everyone.

I would keep an eye on future out breaks it there are any and take pictures of them this time to show the doctor to see if it could be lupus related. I have heard of infections that do cause rash or have a medicine that is sun sensitive reaction to it. I hope you are feeling better now.

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
Hello Claire
:)

I don't think there are any hard and fast rules about how the sun affects people and I think individuals aren't always affected in exactly the same way.

The skin is probably the first organ likely to react although there are instances of skin problems weeks after exposure. It is quite common for skin to be worse in winter suggesting that cumulative doses of UVA play a part.
The same might be true for general disease flares. After all it is a process, not a sudden zap. Inflammation sets in and affects the whole body, as and when it is going to.
How odd to suggest reducing the sun block strength when you are in the Caribbbean. What is the reasoning behind that I wonder

If you were on an antibiotic for the infection that might have played a role in the skin trouble especially if it was a sulfonamide, although I believe most of them increase photosensitivity

Clare

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hiya clare,
Just wanted to let you know that while i was in india at easter i was totally pain free the whole time but my skin rash which normally is only on the soles of my feet and palms of my hands became very widespread,over my fingers and toes.Was very itchy,sore and ugly:eek:.
After getting home it took a good 2wks to get it back under control.
Take care,
Angela.x

1 - 5 of 5 Posts