The Lupus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
My name is Karen,and I have been visiting this site as a guest for the last couple of weeks.I am from New Zealand.
I have had Lypus for 5 year now, and it is controlled really well with Plaquenil.Jan this year I was also diagnosed with Rectal Cancer,scarry stuff. I have had an operation,Bowel Ressection, and have recovered really well from this.Now I have the dreaded decision to make, Do i want Radiation and Chemo for 5 weeks. The Operation went well and I never had it in the Lymph nodes. This is a really big desision for me, and I need to make it in the next couple of days.
Has any one else been in a situation like this as well.
Look forward to hearing from anyone.
Cheers
Karen

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
I've not had any experience of this sort - but what have your doctors told you regarding whether you should or should not? In your shoes, I would try to ask for any research studies comparing results with/without chemo for someone in your shoes, as well as your doctor's personal experiences treating similar patients.

It certainly sounds promising that you did not have any spread to the lymph nodes. Best wishes for a full recovery and no recurrence of the cancer.

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
Hi Karen,

I don't have any personal experience of this but my Dad has been through the same thing this year.

I think that really, as in all things, the answer may be quite different for each person. I would agree with what Maia said about finding out as much as you can from the docs and studies on this.

These choices are never easy and at the end of the day a lot comes down to trust that we have to have in our docs and their knowledge.

Katharine

·
Registered
6,152 Posts
Hi Karen

Same here - no personal experience. I just wanted to stop by and say hi. Im sorry to hear you had such terrible health problems but its great news that the cancer hasnt spread. I just dont know what I would do in your shoes but I've thought about it today.

I guess I would make sure I gave myself the best possible chance of making sure the cancer was knocked for six and I suppose that means I would opt for the chemo. My friend had breast cancer followed by chemo and while it was a very rough time for her, several years later she always says she is very glad she made the decision.

I dont envy you having to make this decision. I wish you loads of strength over the next few days. Ironically the chemotherapy may well benefit your Lupus - with a bit of luck knocking it into remission - not that you would want such aggressive treatment if you could help it of course.

The best of luck. Stay in touch and let us know how you are.

Luv n stuff
Joan:rose:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts