The Lupus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my 2 sisters have fybromalgia..wrong spelling and i have sle does anyone know if these are inherited:rolleyes:

·
Registered
376 Posts
I'm not sure bridie, but I wondered the same thing. I have two siblings with crohns (both at age 19), which is an autoimmune disease as well. Makes you wonder if there is an element of heredity there. Oh, my Mom and Grandmother also got crohns in their early 70's. I am the first with Lupus that I'm aware of.

Nutty

·
Registered
4,369 Posts
:) Hi Bridie!

SLE is not inherited (i'm sure).

(((Nutty))) as to Crohns 'I think it is'.

I think there are a few auto-immune diseases that are inhereited, but most are not!

I know someone more knowledgeable will come along soon to help (or correct me:blush:).

Lesley

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
Hello Bridie :) I am not so sure if fibro runs in families but SLE certainly tends to. However it is not inherited in the usual meaning of the word when for example there is a 4 in one chance of inheriting a disease. The sort of possibility mentioned is 5-10% more likely that our children will develop some form of lupus or another autoimmune disease. Not even both of identical twins necessarily develop lupus although it is very likely that both will, about 75% of the time.

It is thought that the predisposition might be inherited but lupus needs a trigger of some sort to develop into a disease form. Nobody is sure what the triggers might be and there are probably several. UV exposure is one, viral infections might be another. There is some suspicion about exposure to certain chemicals. Extreme stress and trauma of various sorts including accidents and surgery, even a diet heavy in animal fats or extreme weight loss diets, seem to be implicated in some cases.

All the best
Clare

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
my sister who has fibro she has a daughter with crohns bad she really poorly with it she has just been put on aza and she has put weight on . but mind you she needed to put it on she was 6and a half stone she is now 8stone and looking well she is only 26 but when she was pregnant with her twins it disapeared as soon as she gave birth it was straight back.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
its just weird my 2 sisters have fibro...but a lot of years ago lupus wasent known so our ancestors wouldent have known about lupus cause we are lucky to have doctors who are just learning about it.ive had it for years and and i was called lazy so i was glad wen i was diagnosed.it shut everyone up ...

·
Registered
646 Posts
Clare you may have made a point when you talked about triggers.

As I mentioned in my intro post, I had no signs of Lupus UNTIL I came back from a skiing trip.... way up in the mountains, where there was a helluva lot of UV light beaming down! As it was Macrh, the weather in Les Arcs (ski resort) was beautiful, and so I skied most of the time in my t-shirt. No hat. And not a super amount of sunblock. About 2 weeks after returning is when the Lupus symptoms hit me.

I think I should go and look into this a little futher.......

·
Registered
376 Posts
bridie;515447 said:
... but when she was pregnant with her twins it disapeared as soon as she gave birth it was straight back.
The same thing happened to my sister. She said she felt the best (no sign of crohns) when she was pregnant. She had 4 children.

I have another friend with crohns and she went into remission when she was pregnant. It lasted 12 years until she had a serious fall (broke elbow, hip and heel). Now she can't get it under control.

Nutty

1 - 8 of 8 Posts