The Lupus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a sleep study done this past Friday night to test for sleep apnea. I qualify for a nasal mask because I stopped breathing 8-10 times a minute. That's not very much, but it does qualify me for the mask. Great!!! Just what I needed. :mad:

I also have a deviated septum that goes two different directions. :? I broke my nose when I was 13, and never got it fixed. I have a very hard time breathing with that as well, so with the apnea on top of it...... :worried:

Does anybody else have sleep apnea, and if so, do you use the mask and does it really help you.

Any response would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!! :wink2:

·
Registered
300 Posts
Hi,

Are you sure your doc said 8-10 times per minute? That's every six seconds you stop breathing...and thats pretty severe.

My husband suffered from sleep Apnea as well as enlarged pallate and tonsils and double deviated septum...He felt sick all the time, not to mention the noise level in our bedroom when he was sleeping...most nights I slept on the couch :)

The doctors offered him the mask, but told him it is very loud and uncomfortable. Since he is oly 34, they told him he was an excellent canditate for surgery. He had it done last year, and feels and looks like a new person. Even his skin looks different! His memory returned. And no more snoring!!!!!!!!

That being said, everyone responds differently...the mask may not be uncomfortable for you...its worth a try, especially if your insurance is going to cover it!

Sharon

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
No personal experience, but my Dad has mild sleep apnea and a nose that sounds pretty much like yours! Broken, never fixed, and curves in a few angles making breathing difficult when awake. However, the doctors for him advised against surgery and gave him a mask to wear. When he first got his sleep apnea mask, he wore it for a bit but felt it intruded too much with his sleep due to bulkiness and noise. Recently however, he got a new prescription for a new machine and he loves it; and he does feel as if it makes a big difference for him in that he sleeps better, and wakes up more refreshed. And it's not so big/bulky/noisy as the old one.

Good luck - hope it makes a big difference for you too.

·
Registered
468 Posts
I've had sleep apena for quite a long time and have had three different masks, I just changed to one that covers both my nose and mouth because my allergies often stop up my nose and make the nose only one not work. I am still getting used to it so I will have to let you know, plus I am having a bout of insomnia--but previously if you hang in there long enough and get used to the mask it makes a big difference. I stop breathing about every three seconds or so, makes for some very unrestful sleep. Karly Good luck with your new mask~:p

1 - 4 of 4 Posts