The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, now that it seems like everything that has ever been wrong with me can be explained away by my faulty immune system, I'm wondering if chronic constipation could be another symptom. Anyone? I've been suffering from this since I was about 12-13, around the same time I started experiencing joint pain.

·
Registered
788 Posts
I have this as well.. I go often but it is difficult to pass (sorry if TMI)
I share bc I have to help pass my stools by adding pressure .. it got worse after having my children but then again I have always had constipation.. Not sure if its connected or not but I have heard of Lupus affecting the intestines..

·
Registered
87 Posts
If I remember correctly, they are thinking you are CREST right? Because I have sclero and my intestines are scarred up from that and they do not work properly either. If I do not take a pill with each meal, i will be backed up for days. Definaltely something to talk to your doc about.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Probiotic yogurt actually helps a lot. A lot a lot. I keep the fridge stocked with activia. Something I will have to mention to the doctor. I just keep putting together old symptoms that I never tied together before.

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Hi :)

They have checked your thyroid out haven't they? Chronic ongoing constipation is one pretty common symptom of underactive thyroid. Some people's numbers come back ok for TSH the most common of the thyroid tests, but they may have thyroid antibodies. Just a thought..........

love
Lily

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
Hi Wane,

I have the opposite problem and have for my entire life. It is rare for me to get constipated but it has happened and it is miserable. I am hoping that you get to feeling better soon.;)

·
rockstar!
837 Posts
I'll throw in my 2 cents here too.

I have very slow intestines. I'm actually never constipated, but I deal with nausea and such. My doctors did a gastric emptying study because they thought I had gastroparesis (which maybe was causing the nausea), but found that my stomach emptying was fine. They continued to take pics through the intestines and found that when I was supposed to have 50-97% of the food through my small intestine, I only had 3% moved through. They didn't give me a huge explanation on this other than saying they could offer me a drug to speed up the intestines, but it would probably give me diarrhea and they weren't sure what it would do for the nausea. I declined.

My current rheumy says that he has seen this in a few cases and it was a result of the SLE attacking the nervous system. I have had a few things that indicated some basic nerve involvement, so he feels like this fits my case.

Just a thought. :)

Kit

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wow, that's pretty slow! :eek: I don't get nauseaus... Except once a long time ago when I tried to use the bathroom and couldn't... And it HURT, sharp pains all over my intestines, and it made me puke, cold sweats, thought I was going to die. My doctor did an x-ray, and I was so impacted that my bowels appeared solid.

·
Registered
279 Posts
hello Wane

I take flaxseeds (Linseeds) a spoonfull in boiling water. When cool enough drink it. Really helps with constipation specially if pain killers r causing it.

dixy

·
Registered
182 Posts
Hi Wane, I mentioned my constipation problems tomy GP and was given FIBOGEL I take this in the morning and in the evening, she told me that it was all the different meds causing the problem and I must admit it has helped a great deal.

Sending cyber hugs

·
Registered
279 Posts
hello Wane

sorry the flaxseeds can b sprinkled in soups cereals and salads just drink a big glass of water with them

dixy

·
Registered
62 Posts
have just been diagnosed with probable Inflamed Bowel Syndrome. HAving quite a lot of pain in my lower somach after food, taking anti spasmodic 3 times a day before i eat, but need to try and manage my diet to work out the best course of action..... Life is never easy - she to did say it was party due to my meds. Can only try and work out the best situation for us all
xx

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.