TheLupusSite.com banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! I have not posted in a few weeks because I have been so darn sick. Husband got me in to see a Neurologist and we have Chronic Demylinating Axonal Polyneuropathy... with history of Lupus and in a lupus flare right now which stinks! :worried: Anyway my husband picked up the MRI report yesterday and on the report it reads 4 white matter lessions on the brain and a small Cerebral Infarct. Anybody have any idea what that could mean? I'm worried! i have been diagnosed with Lupus since 1992 but have had attacks on my nervous system several times and have really bad motor/sensory nerve damage alot with dead muscles. So now I'm wondering what the Infarct is! I tried looking up Small Cerebral Infarct but really found nothing but others asking the same questions with no answers as to what causes it and does lupus cause this? Thanks for helping me! Everybody in here is so nice and kind! I am glad I joined this forum:eek:

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Forgot to mention

Found a 2 1/2 or 3 week old kitten abondoned by it's mother and have been bottle feeding it for two days now. She is so cute and sweet looking. Just hope I can help her survive the next fews weeks until I know she is able to do on her own. I did some research and am trying my best to keep the little one okay safe and sound. 8)

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
LBH,

I also have lesions on my brain, a cerebral infarct and a angioma to boot. I was dx with MS but was just un diagnosed with MS as now they are leaning towards Lupus or MCTD.

Anyway, vasculitis can cause all of this, per my Neurologist and I am not sure so do not quote me but I think aging can as well.

Try and relax. I am still strong and kicking with the same MRI results as you.

Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will come along and provide more insight.

·
Administrator
10,167 Posts
Hi Lynette,

The brain needs certain nutrients such as blood and oxygen. If this supply is interrupted the cells in that area begin to die. The area of dead cells in tissues is called an infarct. Loss of brain function occurs with cell death resulting in some of the symptoms you are experiencing. Since I don't know your previous MRI history it is hard to say whether this is new or not.

More than likely Lupus is the culprit. However it is possible that at some time you suffered from a small stroke. Your neurologist should go over this with you at your next visit.

Take care,
Lazylegs

·
Registered
647 Posts
Hiya LBH! :eek:verhere:
Lazylegs gave you a very thorough description. An infarct is a stroke. Scary to find out about, but most adults end up with a few of these in their lifetime. As long as they are small, and do not reoccur, it is probably not much of a concern.

You should continue to follow up with your neuro on a regular basis just to make sure it does not happen again. They may put you on asprin or other blood thinner therapy, and if your cholestorol is high, a statin drug to prevent further clotting incidents.

I have had two infarcts show up, and with further testing was diagnosed with antiphospholipid syndrome (APS). The lesions on the other hand, I have no idea, but am sure your doctor will go over it with you.

Good news is you are catching all this before it has really become a problem, and can get started on preventative medicine to keep it from reoccuring. :thumbs:

Be Well!

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Hi Lynette,

Ditto what the others have said, in summary there are many and varied reasons why this would show up. It could be an old area of dead tissue from a previous assault on brain tissue i.e. stroke, depending on what previous MRI's show. It could be from ageing, it could be from Vasculitis or it could be from Antiphospholipid Syndrome. Your neuro will asses which he thinks is most likely from your clinical presentation and history.

I have a couple which they discovered over time with repeat MRI/MRA's and they were finally pinned down to CNS Vasculitis attacks. I had negative APS bloods all along and my symptoms screamed Vasculitis. The last MRA showed it in action so it was much easier to say with certainty what was causing it. Stepping up my meds and controlling the Lupus helped immensely, although I still have problems I think the Vasculitis has settled down to a dull roar ;) unless I am really silly about sun exposure and trying to burn the candle at both ends.

Good luck and I am hoping your current flare subsides and that the infarct is from a previous assault not this latest flare :hug:

love
Lily

1 - 6 of 6 Posts