TheLupusSite.com banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI all, little back ground . I have tested positive for ana 1;640 lowest was 1;340 in the last 5 years had a single standed Dna positive and had 1 ds dna 1 number over normal. Rnp is high. but still no real answer if i have lupus or not. any Ideas or advice would be appreciated.
i also have fibro. last time i had a day with no pain was aug of 2006.
not getting anywhere with currint ruemy so end of feb i am going for 2nd oppionion.

Im sure you all know this feeling of furstration of not knowing and just plain tired of the pain and no relief. and being tired of the pain killers awwggg ok Im done thank you for listening sheri

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Hi Sheri :hug:

Big hugs to you! It's more than aggravating :mad:

You obviously have some kind of autoimmune connective tissue disease by your results, but whether it's Lupus or Mixed Connective Tissue Disease is irrelevant really as far as your treatment goes. I can't believe this Rheumy hasnt at least started you on Plaquenil :mad: Your ANA continues to go up, so what is he waiting for?

Most docs wouldnt worry about the exact diagnosis with those results and the fact you are obviously symptomatic and surviving solely on pain meds.

Having said that though a diagnosis of Lupus won't be forthcoming unless you fulfil some of the specific criteria. You already have a big one in the ANA being high positive, and the RNP being high positive could make it lean more towards MCTD or it could still be Lupus, symptoms would determine the difference.

Sometimes it's a good idea not to be diagnosed on paper with lupus as far as insurance etc. goes but that shouldnt stop him treating you with disease modifying medications.

All that said it sounds like an excellent idea to be going for that second opinion, do document your symptoms past and present before you go and do take copies of all your positive blood results. Has anyone done urinalysis on you and how have they been? Any blood and protein without infection as the source? That could also be quite significant.

Do you get any rashes, that would be another way to determine exactly what's going on? A Dermatologist could do a biopsy when they are flaring and in some cases it can prove Lupus. However sometimes a negative result will come back and it doesnt mean you don't have Lupus.

Here's an article on MCTD:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/mixed-connective-tissue-disease/DS00675

Good luck with your second opinion and do let us know how you get along.

love
Lily

·
Registered
4,583 Posts
:) Hi, Sheri, your story sounds so familiar to me. When I was in the throws of Fobro, all those yrs, nothing ever helped the pain. It was not until I was DX with Lupus that I began to get some relief. I think that you going to get a second opinion from a new Rheumy is a great idea, and a smart one. I do hope that you find a good Rheumy that you have confidence in, cuz you shouldn't be suffering like you are, there is no need. Keep your journal, and be a pest, go see every Rheumy you can find if you have to, you can expect help, but don't expect a DX right away, Lupus is not dx that easy, and it is not bloods alone. Write down your daily routene and how and where you hurt. I send you good vibes, and let us know how you do. be well.:wink2:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts