TheLupusSite.com banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I know i have been on here lots of times and I shared my story about losing my baby.. I am pregnant again.. kidneys are well 1.0 creatine .. very low protein yet my docs are sayin that I have a very high chance of going into kidney failure if I continue with the pregnancy.

I know every situation is diff.. I want to hear of your experiences with lupus nepritis and pregnancy again... good/bad whatever.. sometimes its good to hear things from the "horse's mouth", if you will. Thank you everyone!!! So glad to have this opportunity.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
Recent studies indicate that pregnancy does NOT affect the activity of lupus nephritis. Here's a link on one such study for you to read:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15593212

Of course, the pregnancy is still high risk and you are at increased risk for other things like IUGR, pre-eclampsia, etc. but it sounds like you are in a fairly healthy position right now, so best wishes to you for a healthy pregnancy for you and baby!

Keep us posted :)

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
hi there

congrats on the pg - I am wondering if you were talking to your OB or your nephrologist ? Personally in your shoes i would get a second opinion if you are wanting to continue with this pregnancy.

Got my fingers crossed for you that it all turns out well

cheers

raglet

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was speaking to my nephrologist, he says because my kidneys have not been stable for 6 months is why i have such a high risk

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have gone through a successful pregnancy with Lupus Nephritis. I was spilling a ton of protein and ended up flaring, but I started taking Prednisone around week 20 and continued until a couple weeks after I delivered. I did deliver a little early at 36 weeks.

I am pregnant again, and my lupus nephritis had been stable around 4 months when I got pregnant. So far, so good. But, as you said, each situation is different. You should really consult with ALL of your doctors, nephrologist, OB and Rheumatologist. I am being seen by all three, and although my nephrologist told me that I need to be careful because I could end up with worse kidney function or kidney failure, I feel that everything will be fine since my last pregnancy ended up going okay. My creatinine was last at 0.9.

Hope that helps.

~Leah

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
Hello Emmalouise :)
Most women with lupus can have children and many have trouble free pregnancies and healthy babies. It is important to have expert care though and to plan the pregnancy. Ideally you should be stable and off meds for about 6 months before conceiving. There are some medicines that you can't take before or during pregnancy but several others that can be taken if necessary.
There are certain lupus conditions that would make pregnancy very risky and unadvisable - if you have serious kidney disease or have had strokes for example. There's another blood clotting condition called Hughes syndrome in the UK and APS, antiphospholipid syndrome that can cause a number of problems in pregnancy. With the vastly increased knowledge and treatment options the successful pregnancy rate for lupus patients these days compares very favourably with healthy pregnancies.

Most people don't realise how much can go wrong with healthy pregnancies. At least when you have lupus they keep a very close eye on you

Being well informed is an excellent way of controlling fear.

Take heart !

Clare

1 - 8 of 8 Posts