TheLupusSite.com banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I am so sad as my brother is in a Brain Injury Unit, he has been there for about 7 years now and I used to visit him quite regularly. He went into a Diabetic coma which he was in for three weeks, but it has left him brain damaged. He does recognise us and can get about now, but he just shuffles along and we can't tell what he is saying very well. He has the mind of a 3 year old.
My problem with this is he has now got MRSA and I have been told that as I have SLE I cannot visit him as it is too dangerous for me especially if I am flaring. My brother does not understand why I cannot visit him and I miss seeing him so much, I have not seen him for nearly two years now and I keep asking if the MRSA has gone, but I have been told that he has to be free from it for 12 months, they keep doing tests on him, but it has not gone yet.

This damn, damn disease affects not only us, but everyone associated with us.

Sorry to moan, but I just miss him.

Love

Meryl

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
Oh (((((Meryl))))) that is very sad as you say.

I'm sure you must miss being able to go in and see your brother very much and him not being able to understand why makes it even harder.

I don't know anything about MRSA and SLE risks so don't know whether they could find a way of you being able to visit. I suppose that if they could they would have already done so. It may just be an unfortunate waiting game.

sending lots of hugs and positve thoughts winging their way to you,
:grouphug2:

Katharine

·
Registered
4,369 Posts
Hi Meryl,

That is just just really bad for both of you. What a horrible thing to happen to your brother.

Are you sure that there is not a way you can visit your brother. Perhaps wear a face mask, use lots of cream washes etc.. Can you catch it from hugging!?!? Are the doctors being over cautious?!?!?

I know people with Lupus have to be cautious of all bugs/viruses but what is the real likelyhood of you contracting MRSA from visiting your brother, have you sought expert opnions from a few people!

It does not seem right that you would have to stay clear of him for 12 months - thats cruel. I'm not sure how people contract MRSA - is it airbourne, does it have to get into open wounds - perhaps someone else has knowledge that can help.

I worry about MRSA everytime I visit a doctors surgery or hospital especially when I have to take my children (they always seem to touch everything).

I really don't know anything about MRSA and I hope that you will be able to sort something out so that you can see your brother soon.

Take care,

Love Lesley

·
Registered
111 Posts
I am so sorry to read about your brother. Beingunable to visit him must tear you apart.

MRSA is in the community and being vigilant about hand washing and using Alcohol hand rub is your best defence.
You have to take medical advice and be sure you are not putting you or he at too great a risk but life is a risk and we have to make judgements based on our knowledge and our emotional/physical/spritual needs every day.

my children breed all sorts of horrible resistant bugs...i suppose I really should never be in the same room as them but of course I am nursing them daily. When i developped a chest infection the other week I reduced my immune supressing drugs to allow me to get over my infection...i am still paying the price for that in the SLE related issues but i got over the infection reasonably well.

stress is a huge factor in our well being, is the risk of MRSA comparable with the risk of your stress related issues when not alowed to visit.
I am not making judgement nor suggesting you should go against advice you have but making an informed judgement should mean investigating all angles of the situation.
I do really feel for you as I have a brother who lives over 200 miles from me who has been seriously unwell, I am totaly unable to visit him and it is very hard emotionally. the reasons are complicated and not related to risk to me as such...not the same as your situation but similar enough to have empathy with your situation.
much love

·
Registered
14 Posts
MRSA is very serious and you should not risk it. But mabe there are other ways you can comunicate like with a video camera or pictures . Will he relate to that . It must be hard I cant even imagine . But I hope this helps I know there are ways that the nurses can keep a camera in the area as long as it has been cleaned well and kept on the unit . Mabe even a video phone or web cam ??????

Lots Of Love
Laurie

·
Registered
328 Posts
Hi Meryl,

What is MRSA?

I'm sorry you cannot visit your brother:( Can you set up virtual visits, with a computer on both ends and those little cameras you can set up on the computer? I'm wondering if at least "seeing" one another and having a talk would help both of you.

This situation would tear me appart as well, and I feel for you. 2 years is such a long time.

Hugs to you.

Karin

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi all
Thanks for all your replies, I really appreciate them. I get so low at times thinking of my brother.
One Registrar who I spoke to regarding this, said to get gowned up, masked up and gloves on, and not to touch him, but if it was her she wouldn't chance it.
The video camera and pictures are a good idea, and like you say as long as the camera is cleaned and I don't handle it there shouldn't be a problem.

It does make such a difference being able to talk to you all.

All keep well

Love

Meryl

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Karin
MRSA is short for Methicillin Resistant Staphylococcos Aureus. It is an organism which can be on the skin and passed by physical contact or it can be in the nose and passed on by droplets from nose or mouth. I have been told that there is a lot of it in Nursing Homes, Old Peoples Homes and of course Hospitals. It doesn't seem to cause problems for healthy people, so long as they haven't any cuts when they touch the infected person, but for people in our position it can be quite dangerous, hence the caution.

Love

Meryl

·
Registered
388 Posts
I hope your brother gets mrsa "free" soon..you both need family support..and love each other so much..i hope you can be near him soon jane

·
Registered
5,267 Posts
I like the video and pic idea. Did your doc tell you not to go? Cause that is the only one I would listen too. There are preventative measures yes, but it all depends on your condition and such.

I hope that you can get to see him too, I know it is important to you.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Are you on immunosupressants or do you have a low white count?
If you do then don't risk it
If you don't then I think this advice is a bit strange.
Ask if you can have direct contact with the 'Infection Control Nurse' who is expert in this area and would advise docs and nurses on the correct way to manage infections.
I'm sorry about this it must be so hard for you both.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Meryl,

I was so sorry to read that you are advised not to visit your brother. How painful for you. I think the other ladies have given you wonderful ideas, about creative ways to be communicative with your brother.

I hope he gets well very soon. Please, follow your doctor's advice and put your health first.

Take Good Care,
Sandy

·
Registered
277 Posts
I really hope you can find a safe way to visit him in person, but if not, I agree that webcams would probably be your best bet. That would require a fast internet connection on both ends, and of course a computer and webcam, which the staff there would have to be willing to set up for him (unless there is another relative who can visit him and set it up). If that's not possible, you can always video yourself and send it to him, though I'm guessing that wouldn't work very well in the other direction (him to you). If you're using a macinstosh computer, I can give you some advice for webcam setup if you'd like - I've set up webcams for myself and several other people on macs. Hope something works out soon, let us know what happens!

sf

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi all
Thanks again for all your replies and support, they are really appreciated.

Yes, bigsis I am on Immunosupressants and am also in a flare at the moment, but I am determined to find a way around this. I have to be careful as I also have other children who rely on me.

Hi someonesfriend, I do not have a Mac computer, but no doubt I will be able to sort something out with what I have got and the Computer at the Hospital.

Once again, THANK YOU ALL

Love

Meryl

1 - 14 of 14 Posts