TheLupusSite.com banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My mouth has recently gotten ridiculously dry. I had a lip biopsy done because we thought that I probably had primary sjogren's. Turns out I don't have sjogren's at all... Narrowing the diagnosis to lupus or scleroderma. The dryness+allergies is causing me a really nasty sore throat.

I would love to know:
-Why is my mouth so dry?!
-What can I do about it?

Any insight would be super awesomes. Thanks.

·
Registered
279 Posts
hello Wane

I get a dry mouth:eek: and loads of sore throats:eek: on and off.

You can get some stuff like artificial saliva which helps in a spray different flavours.

Or I make slushies from ground ice to suck on.;)
Dont know what causes it I just get it now and again its sooooooooo:eek:annoying

tc dixy

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
I don't know how effective it is as my very dry mouth symptoms cleared pretty quickly when I was put on medication but I was told to chew chewing gum (??). If I had to do that I'd actually find it very difficult as my jaw "joint" is rather painful and I have a hard time with bread rolls never mind chewing gum...

I too was tested for sjorgens for the same reason - thankfully the dermy also decided to do a skin biopsy and that confirmed my lupus.

Katharine

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Hello Wane,

I can't tell you why your mouth is so dry. I take a medication called Evoxac
to produce more saliva.

You can also try sucking on hard candy to help produce more saliva. I use
sugarless, so my teeth don't rot out of my mouth. :)

Best Wishes,
Sandy

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
What medications are you on? Some medications can cause mouth dryness as a side effect. Are you peeing a lot too - an abnormal amount or so it seems? Being very thirsty can be a sign of diabetes too, especially if you are using the restroom a lot too. These are two more reasons you could have dry mouth, I'm sure there are others!

·
Administrator
10,165 Posts
My dentist recommended gum containing Xylitol to help increase moisture. I also use the Biotene products. So far they have really worked for me.

:flower2:
Lazylegs

1 - 8 of 8 Posts