TheLupusSite.com banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our GP Practice has recently employed a very nice young lady GP. Although she is not my Dr. I have seen her a couple of times and get on really well with her.
She has told me quite honestly that she is terrified of Patients with Lupus and she feels it was covered very badly in her training. Her knowledge of it is basically that it can affect any body system and is hard to diagnose.
I did ask her if she had ever had any books on the subject and she hasn't but would really love one. What is a good Lupus book for a GP. Preferably a UK one?
I am more than happy to donate it to her.
x Lola

·
Registered
4,369 Posts
Lola,

I'm quite positive that the Lupus Clinic (Louise Coote) has a booklet that GP practices can buy giving them up to date info. I think I have spoken to Nurse Angie about it before!!

Take care,

Lesley

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
Hello Lola :)
There's the "Lupus A GP Guide to Diagnosis" published by LupusUK 2000.
Good for her wanting to know more and good for you being willing to help her.

I think it might cost about £5 but not so sure.

Many Hugs
Clare

·
Registered
339 Posts
Hi Lola,
Your GP sounds just like mine. She is lovely and we get on really well but she said the same. She knows hardly anything about Lupus and I said I could print of a couple of things that might be helpful to her and she was very grateful.
My old doctor would hate ever to be told anything but she openly admits I probably know more about Lupus than she does.
She even wrote to my Rheumy and said I was very well informed and could he please prescribe Plaquinnel for me. Which I am now on.
Im glad some of the old style of GPs attitudes is changing and they do admit they are not God and dont know everything.
We work together in deciding what to do then she pushes in the right direction for me.
Ive only been with her for a few months but wish I had had doctors like her in the past.
Good luck hope you continue to work well together too.
Sal xx

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
as well as the guide for GPs there is also one available for nurses which I personally think every practice should have:lol: Again available from Lupus UK.

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank You everyone, I will get right down to it. I am so lucky we have six Docs. in the Practice and there isn't a bad one among them. A real change as I have been in some places where there wasn't even one caring Doctor.

x Lola

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
I have always thought that reading this forum should be obligatory for medicos interested in lupus. The information articles on the main site make an excellent primer of lupus essentials.

Cheers and I hope you are coping with the heat OK Geoff
Clare

1 - 8 of 8 Posts