The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My mom just got the results back from recent blood work and I was wondering if someone could give us advice about this.

Her ANA was positive 1:640 "diffuse" and her ferritin was increased as well. The doctor didn't call or mention anything but based on research, I found that this could be indicative of Lupus?

What other studies should she have run to confirm this?

Her symptoms are tiredness, hair loss, and thats what prompted the blood work. Any suggestions or ideas? I really appreciate the help as I am very worried.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
She also has these flashes of heat, feels very poorly rested at night (wakes up many times), sometimes to go to the bathroom...any of these ring a bell of significance? Sorry I forgot to add them above.

·
Registered
6,152 Posts
Hi there and welcome to the Forum

First of all I would say, dont panic. There can be many reasons why someone's ANA is elevated although the higher the titre the more likely it is caused by some type of autoimmune problem. While a high positive ANA does merit further investigations, it doesnt mean your Mom has Lupus.

Some of the things you mentioned could be related to a problem with her thyroid so if she hasnt had this checked out I would suggest thats worth investigating. There are two broad thyroid conditions - hypothyroidism and hyperthyroidism - (underactive and overactive thyroid) and if you google them you will see some of the symptoms such as hair loss, fatigue, insomnia, etc. High ferritin levels can also be seen in Hypothyroidism as well as Type 2 diabetes (Im thinking here of the frequent urination at night). Its possible that there is more than one thing going on so always bear that in mind.

In any event I think your Mom needs to contact her doctor and ask about further, more specific testing. From what you wrote her symptoms dont seem to be very indicative of Lupus but dont take my word for it!

Her PCP can arrange most of these basic tests and I would start by making an appointment there and discussing the options. Thyroid conditions can be very easily controlled by a simple medication. Of course they can also be caused by autoimmune problems so you can see its important to start investigating so that she can go in the right direction.

I hope she gets some answers soon and feel free to ask any more questions you may have.

Take care for now
Joan:rose:

·
Registered
4,369 Posts
Hi there and welcome,

I am sorry to hear that your Mum and yourself are going through worrying times, although it is good that you are trying to edcuate yourself on the sitution.

Joan has given you some really good advice for now!

Take care to you and your Mum!

·
The Other Illinois Tammy
1,193 Posts
I wanted to say that you are doing all the right things for her. Just be there for her and keep an eye on her as you might notice things that she does not or forgets to mention at her doctor visits.

You should not panic as whatever is going on you will both get through it and she is so lucky to have you.

My thoughts are with you and keep thinking positively.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.