TheLupusSite.com banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had a sore jaw...it hurts when I yawn or when I eat something hard like pizza crust or bagels. I've never had it before so didn't know if it was somehting like TMJ or something Lupus related.

·
Registered
314 Posts
It could be TMJ. This would have to be determined by a dentist. I had What was first thought to be TMJ, but later determined as chronic arthritis in jaw joint. Dentist says nothing can be done... He would not pull my wisdom teeth because he said he was concerned of breaking my jaw. Avoid hard foods and try moist heat. This helps. Good Luck, Rose

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Sounds very unpleasant. I sometimes find in a flare that chewing hurts and is just too much trouble! Could you be flaring?
x Lola

·
4,430 Posts
had that!

Hiya, yes I recognise the pain in the jaw, especially when yawning but also when chewing... I wasn't sure if it was a reaction to the steroid injection that I had had or part of my symptoms... then I had a flare and haven't had so much trouble in that area since, but have also been given meds to reduce the symptoms generally. Anti inflammatories didn't touch it either and sometimes it could be fairly ok and then get me the next time I yawned, it was really odd! Just thought I would let you know I understand what you are saying...:lol:
XClaire

·
Registered
14 Posts
had that too!

hi sounds like TMJ, i had it not very long ago. the joint at the top of your jaw just by your ear is sore,it hurts to yawn,eat and my jaw makes a popping sound when i open and close it. Are you getting headaches as well? thats another sign of TMJ i went to the doctor and had anti-inflammatorys (Motifene 75mg caps) did the job. Hope you feel better soon x

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Unfortunately it is more my bottom jaw and I'm already on an anti-inflammatory so not sure what else I can try. Guess I will give it a few more days to see what happens.

·
Registered
25 Posts
TMD or Temporal Arteritus ??

Hi
I suffered horrible jaw pain for about a year, dentist gave me teeth guards...already on every anti-inflammatory going, as am sure we all are, then had a very odd episode of blurred vision, my GP refered me and I was told it was probably TMD developing temporal Arteritus which is common in SLE....just another one to add to our list! lots of steroids:eek:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Temporal_arteritis
both a rubbish, but the last one is an emergency situation as there is a possibility of clots/blindness...this is worst case scenario stuff though so don't panic, but make sure it is taken seriously.
Cheers
Brenda

·
Registered
21 Posts
and me.......

I have been suffering with jaw lock & painful jaw for years. The dentist has never told me what its called but i am going on Fri so i will ask him. I cant eat crusty cobs or bagettes (which i love) or chew gum for long because once my jaw gets tired it jumps out of place....and owch does it hurt. It jumps straight back though. I also grind my teeth alot which causing my jaw to lock most nights. When this happens i usually wake up with a stinking head ache (from grinding teeth probably). Sometimes i struggle to unlock it again. I had a gum sheild made for me.....but i bit through it. :lol: When i had wisdom tooth out i had to have it done in hosp in case of problems.

Take care

Lou

·
The Other Illinois Tammy
1,193 Posts
cj,
I am not sure but I would let my doctor know that it is happening at my next visit and for sure if it keeps happening or does not get better over a little bit of time. I am sorry that is all I have to offer you, do hope you feel better soon.

·
11,405 Posts
I have found when I have jaw pain I have been clenching my mouth to tight. I have to remind myself to relax.

I hope you find relief soon.:hug:
Love,
Lyn

·
Registered
72 Posts
My jaw pain typically gets a lot worse when I'm stressed. I had a teeth gaurd made for night at the dentist. It is much thinner and more comfortable than the ones you can buy in the store. Also I find that it generally happens when my pain is up and if I take Vicodin before going to bed, it is gone in the morning.

Amy

1 - 11 of 11 Posts