The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
sorry ive not been around...i got a burst gastric ulcer and had to have an emegancy op and a stay in hospital, and its made me mega tried and ive just been sleeping really...also my friend reminded me i was on another lupus chat group ages ago ( i had forgotten this ) and she posted that i was unwell and ive used my enegy up repling to peeps on there, and then i got very confused and thought id posted on here, but i hadnt, so i am now! they think i got the ulcer from all my meds, so that should make life interesting really, but hey i guess its just the way the cookie has crumbled.

one thing i do want to say, and its a lesson we can all learn from my experience! the ulcer burst 12 hours before i did anything about it! it started off hurting really badly for 2 hours, and felt like i had hot lava in my tummy...then it eased off and only hurt like that if i moved at all or eat or drunk anything, and then it came back worse. At first i thought it was immune system related but then it occured to me that when id had immune system pain like that it was always a hospital job and as i was screaming my head off at that point as the pain was so bad , i dialled 999. Well me sitting it out for 12 hours had done me no good - when i got to a & e my body started to go into shock and they had me in the trama/resusation room with a nurse and doctor having to sit with me all the time as my heart rate and breathing where all over the place at that point, because id left it so long, and at that point is was an emegancy as my body wasnt coping with it, as it had been going on for so long - but if id gone in when it started i woudnt have got to the point where it was a medical emegancy, they would have found it and stitched up the hole in my tummy hours before it progressed to that point! They also had to wash alot of acid out so i got some major big scar now, and maybe if id had gone to a & e sooner it wouldnt have been that bad!

We all learn to live with high levels of sudden pain that come from no where, and that why i tried to sit it out, but i guess the lesson we can all learn is sometimes its not the lupus or whatever autoimmune we suffer from, but something else and sometimes its better for us to get it checked out - just in case!!!

Much love to you all as ever daisy2009

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
Hello Daisy and hugs :hug:

I'm glad to know you're healing now but you certainly had a good scare there :eek:

It is so easy for us to always blame everything on our lupus (indeed some docs even do that) and we do very much need to keep in mind that it ca sometimes be something else.

Thanks for telling us your story, it's a good reminder to us all.

Katharine

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes im am feeling lots better now which is great..and thanks for the love....i thought it was best to share my experience, as i dont want anyone else to go though it really and hopefully if anyone else gets something like that....they will know the best thing to do is to go directly to hospital and get it checked out just in case!

·
4,446 Posts
blimey daisy.. you like living life on the edge girl..:rotfl: I am so glad you got sorted in time, could have been very dodgy!! Heal well now and take care of yourself and as a final nag... listen to your body XX
Claire XX

·
Premium Member
7,567 Posts
Goodness me, it sounds very scary and painful! I am glad they are sorting you out now. I suppose you will have to be careful with your meds now? Rest up and take it easy. Hope you are feeling more like yourself soon.

Deb

·
Administrator
10,208 Posts
Hi Daisy,

The same thing happened to my mother-in-law. Dad found her unconscious on the bathroom floor bleeding. It was touch and go for awhile even after the operation.

Thank you for sharing your experience. Maybe it will serve as a reminder to not let a new symptom go unchecked by a doctor.

Take care,
Lazylegs

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks everyone for the well wishes, im certainly on the mend now so all's looking up....thanks also lazylegs and im glad your mother in law has pulled though, it is always best to get new stuff checked out by the doctors and not to think its lupus or related things..its why id thought i post it really, just to remind everyone, me included that its un wise to self diagnose and also if it really bad pain, there no harm getting out check out...just to be on the safe side....as for living life on the edge, it scared me lots, my nearest and dearest and my g.p was very concerned id though it best to try and sit it out...so ive promised everyone ill never do it again!!!:lol:...and as for meds well yes its going to make life abit more intersting, but they injected me with steriod at the rhemy this time, and to be honest, it seems to be having more effect than normal so maybe thats my slivering lining so to speak!!

·
Premium Member
11,410 Posts
Oh my Daisy,

I am happy that you are feeling better. What a scare you did have.:eek:

I think having lupus makes us have a higher threshold of pain. Which works against us in cases like you just had.

You made a excellent point go get symptoms checked out and don't always blame it on lupus.

Take care and get plenty of rest.

Lyn

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks keebler...yeap it was abit of a scare, but ive been avoiding doctors of late, well before the last flare on a ' i can do it myself and i dont need anyone' type deal so maybe i needed a wake up call i guess...and yes im resting lots, as the messy state of my flat can testify too:lol:

·
Registered
182 Posts
:eek:uch::hugbetter: Hi Daisy, you certainly know how to get excitement.. glad you feeling better please take care and remember to listen to your body.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.