TheLupusSite.com banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

Just wondered if there are any fluent Spanish speaking Lupies on this site?

I have been learning Spanish for about 4 - 5 years on and off and it would be fun to converse in Spanish!

Hasta luego :bigsmile:

·
Registered
46 Posts
Italian

Sorry I cant help you but I do speak Italian. Maybe we could start a thread and find out who speaks what?

I understand a bit of Spanish but only speak a few words.

Primrose

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
I was listening to Carlos Santana this afternoon does that count :hehe: ;)

love
Lily

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
:eek:hno: Well the only Italian I know is Grazie (dont even know how to spell it) and prego, bella, and bon journo!!

And not sure if listening to Carlos Santana counts - but hey! why not?

Maybe we could start online language lessons! No - maybe not - sounds like too much hard work!

I find when I am doing Spanish I often find myself coming out with the French equivalent. Now I havent done French since I was 15 and I was crap at it then! Isnt it weird how things stay in your brain that you didnt even know were there?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Hablo un poco de español. Or better muy pocito!

I can understand a little Spanish, and speak a very little. Not well enough to have a conversation. I can find the "el ba`no", or order "cerveza", and ask for "La cuenta por favor".

Ich spreche Deutsch.
Natrürlich sehr gut, weil.... ich wohne ja ins Deutschland! Gibst jemand hier das auch Deutsch sprechen kann? Ich wurde sehr fröh wenn Du mich antwörten können!

Привет,
Я говорю по-русски! Как дела?

And I also speak English. A little french, and some Vietnamese (but i have forgotten most). I can understand some Dutch, polish, and Finnish. I can sing one song in mandarin Chinese, and really pi** someone off in about 10 other languages.:wink2:

Anyone?

LG (sorry I should explain LG=Liebe Grüß with Love)
Monique

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow, Monique, I struggle to learn one additional language you speak many! I really envy people who can speak lots of languages - cant work out why they dont get mixed up!

I find when playing online scrabble that I often put words that are spanish by mistake and wonder why the word is not accepted!

Could I ask if you are actually English or German?

Wonder how many other multi-lingual lupies there are? Like Primrose suggested it would be interesting to find out. Maybe more will respond to this thread :umm:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ps .....

Monique could you teach me to p*** people off in 10 languages?? LOL
Maybe you could private message me and give me a lesson??:lol:

·
Registered
62 Posts
Hello peapods!

Well, I was born in Boston (New England) My mother is Canadian (born in Nova Scotia) My grandmother is from Quebec. I live since 15 years in Southern Germany (was married to a german, and have a daughter here in Germany). I have been in the US half of my life and in Germany almost the other half (so far). Obviously my everyday language is German. I do at home with my daughter speak only English (she has grown up with 2 languages, and speaks both like a native). French I learned from my grandparents (and Mom) as well as having 4 years in school. I learned Latin in school for 6 years (and studied Medicine). Obviously in Europe learning a foreign language is easier and more important. For example in 1 hour I can drive to Italy (but unfortunatly I don't know much Italian:sad: ), In 2 Hours I am in either France or Poland (right or left) In 5 minutes I am in Austria (thank god they speak German too!). Switzerland is also 1 hour away (German, English, French speaking areas). I live in a very popular tourist region so in the summer we are flooded with (Americans,Japanese,Italian, Eastern Europeans etc.) Since most of the jobs in this area are in tourism language is very important.

And yes speaking several languages makes one often get confused. As I was in Quebec, I locked my keys in the car and had to call a locksmith. As he asked me (in French) which way the key is turned to "unlock" I first translated the french into German then into english, before I could give my answer. As Someone asked me "Where are you from?" I had to think......Germany.....Deutschland.....Allemagne....oh, which one do I use here!

LG
Monique

·
Registered
391 Posts
Hello!

I am also multi-lingual. I am a native English speaker, and decided to take German in high school MANY years ago. I spent a year near Hamburg as an exchange student between high school and college. Monique, mein Deutsch ist schlecht geworden. Das tut mir leid! :sad:

I majored in Spanish in college, and met my husband in the Language Lab. He is from Chile, and was my tutor for a while. I've been to Chile several times, and speak Spanish very well. Peapods, podemos hablar juntos a cada rato. Mándame un email cuando quieras.

We also spent nearly four years in Sicily, so I understand quite a bit of Italian, too.

Monique, I can't pi** too many people off, but I can do a mean amount of counting to ten! In addition to German, Spanish and Italian, I can count to ten in French, Russian, Finnish and Korean. It isn't overly helpful when traveling! :rotfl:

Have a great day!

Terri

·
Registered
277 Posts
:lol: You guys are amusing me with your counting and pi**ing people off :rotfl:

I've been taking french in school since 6th grade (I'm a senior in highschool now), and took spanish from 1st or 2nd grade up until I switched to french when I changed schools - I remember just enough spanish to understand bits of it (but can't really come up with any myself anymore, unless its to occasionally use the spanish word instead of the french!! :hehe: )

It'd be cool to have language chats sometime, I'd certainly be up for that if anyone was willing to stand my lousy french :)

sf

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hola SF

Good to meet you!

How come youre interested in Lupus Research? Is it because of your friend or are you set to be a doctor?
You are no doubt discovering just how much Lupus effects not just the person who has it but people close to them too!

Not sure how a language 'thingy' would work - got any ideas anyone?

Maybe we could each post a question in our chosen language and then the others post an answer in their language. And we would then have to use a dictionary to help us translate if it is a language we dont know.

Then when we have answered a question we set another one. That way we can get to know each other as well as learn some languages!!

Did that make sense? Perhaps it would be worth a try - unless someone has a better plan?

OK lets just give it a go - it may not work - we'll keep it simple to start with and anyone can join in!

¿Donde vives?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Still chuckling at the thought of Terri, when faced with an abusive situation with someone foreign and counting to ten!! :rotfl: :rotfl:

·
Registered
6,152 Posts
Hi Andi

Not to put a dampner on learning but... the boards are registered in the UK and English is the language used. Posting in other languages would exclude a large majority of members.

If you would like to converse with another and practice language why not use the Private Message facility? You can message other members to your hearts content in whatever language you both agree on.

Cheers
Joan:rose:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi Joan

Thanks for your comments.

I actually didnt see it as being exclusive I thought it might be the opposite - by keeping it relatively simple and fun so anyone could join in and have a go if they wanted to, and maybe learn the odd word or two!

(I am writing to people in Spanish by private message/email but that is different - more like language practice )

But of course if you dont think it is appropriate then we can knock it on the head. I am new to the boards and I happily respect the management of this forum.:)

·
Registered
277 Posts
Maybe in chat, where it can be a more open thing than PMing but isnt on the board itself? We could have a set time for a "language practice" chat, maybe? See how many languages we can get going at once, how confused we can get? :lol: Or have different times for different languages?

As for my interest in lupus - it certainly started with my friend, but at this point I'm just fascinated by especially the research aspect, the search for a cure, and hope someday maybe I can help with that. Pretty sure I don't want to be a doctor, I'm more interested in the research side of things. And I'm kind of torn, because I'm also really intereseted in a totally different side of biology too, animal intelligence/behavior. So I don't know which I'll end up with as a career, medical research or animal behavior research, but pretty sure I want to do research, and for now learning as much about both as I can! :) Nice to meet you too Peapods! :)

sf

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Hi sf,

It would be the same problem in chat, much worse even, with people coming and going and newbies feeling excluded.

I guess what we are trying to say is that first and foremost this is a Lupus support group and a large one at that. There are other places to practice languages and I'm afraid we can't accomodate it here.

Part of the success of the board is our ability to identify with each other no matter where we are from, our intolerance of cliques and our other various rules that may seem, at times, strict guidelines. They are there for a very good reason and it's not always obvious. They have come about from our experiences over the last decade of how best to manage a large health forum with a handful of volunteer moderators who themselves have Lupus. So far it's worked and has not faded away as so many other health forums do.

Hope you understand a little better now.

love
Lily

·
Registered
277 Posts
Hi Lily,

That does make good sense, I hadn't thought about it that way. Thanks for clarifying, and yes of course this needs to be a lupus board above everything else, I definitely wouldn't want to do anything that would jeopardize that.

sf

·
11,405 Posts
Hi Eve,

This is an old thread 2/21/08 and the poster hasn't been on the site since 2/19/09.

Plus there are guide lines about using English only.

Please keep posts in standard English language, avoiding the use of shortened words and 'text speak' as many of our members have problems understanding such posts.
Love,
Lyn

1 - 19 of 19 Posts