The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a spinal tap done almost a month ago on December 7th. I ended up with the worst spinal headache I have ever had in my life. They have done two blood patches but I continue to have the spinal headache. It is not as severe but it still continue to be there. Theyhave my on Tramadol and Tylenol.

I have APS too so Ican't take ibprofen or the like. I also have allergies to most narcotics, darvocet, diluadid, vicadin.

Anyone dealt with this?

Still waiting the test results to come back.. Praying for answers because this not knowing and my body continuinging to detriorate is going to drive me crazy.

Marti

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Hi Marti, :hugbetter:

I haven't had your experience but just wanted to say that I'm thinking of you. It sounds like you are having a truly awful time.

I'm sure someone will come along to help but in the meantime hang in there & let us know how your results go.

Hugz,

Pam xxx

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
((((((((((Marti))))))))) that's awful to still have the headache after all this time :hug:

Did they take you off your aspirin or anticoag's several days before they did the procedure?

love
Lily

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Marti,

I had a spinal, and ended up having a blood patch. My headache did go away, but I have daily headaches, because of Lupus.

I just want to offer my support, and to tell you, I feel so bad for you..That is the worst headache ever. I hope your Dr, finds a way to get rid of it, once and for all for you.

Get Well Soon..
Sandy

·
Administrator
10,193 Posts
Hi Marti,

You are in good company, this sounds like what George Clooney went through a couple of years ago. It finally did go away. I remember seeing him on the Tonight Show being ever so careful how he moved.

Wish I had some ideas for you but I don't. I have mine on Monday and plan to stay down and consume plenty of caffeine in hopes of not getting the dreaded headache.

Good luck,
Lazylegs

·
Jen
407 Posts
Yes, I've been there but after about 10 days it did start getting better. They had me drink a lot of Mountain Due for the caffeine which did help but then for someone like me who doesn't drink caffeine I had to wean myself off.

It will likely get better over time. It was one of the most difficult times for me so I total understand, do the best you can and I'll pray it gets better.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
Gosh, after a whole month I would be very inclined to call the doctor and ask for results and ask for different treatment suggestions for this headache. If the results of the LP may affect your treatment for the symptoms that led to the LP, then I'd definitely call and ask for results. A month is a really long time to wait for results, especially with a horrible headache!

·
Registered
571 Posts
Marti :hugbetter:

My heart goes out to ouy......I had a very bad experince when I have my spinal tap.

The so called doctor doing the the procedure could not get in the level of choice after 4 or 5 tries and then went down to the next level and attempted another 3 plus times. I had spinal headaches for over 6 months and a blood patch was not an option due to the mulitply puncture sites.

One thing that I found did help and was suggested by my nuero. was to stay very hydrated and drink as mush caffine as possible. Ouy might want to call ouyr doctor and see if this could help ouy some.

Good Luck with it and I hope ouy feel better.

Love,
Deb
:rose:

·
Registered
310 Posts
So sorry to hear about that headache. A month is a long, long time to endure that pain.

I would definitely say to drink lots of fluids and call your doctor!

For anyone anticipating an LP, I would check out whether you can get a patch at the time of the puncture. You can do all the right things following the LP and still get that hideous headache. A certain percentage of people do.

Hope you are better soon. Fran

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
I did have to have this done myself some years back, the headache afterwards lasted 6 weeks. I do suggest though if it is not getting any better see your doctor. Hope you feel better soon and that you get good results.

Sheila xox :)

·
Registered
413 Posts
Hi There

I have had 2 spinal tapps now my first was done at Tommys I never felt nothink or had any pain after I got up and walked straight to the cafe with in 5 mins although i was told to lay still for 2 hours! Now the second one done at me local Hospital wasnt so good I at to stop my warfarin for couple days before hand! and the tapp it self awfull I had the headache from **** after for weeks... Now I put mine down to I have APS and I at to stop my warfarin so my INR was so low because of stopping Now when my INR drops I suffer from migrain and Im sick ( its the change in oxegen levels in the blood going round the brain thats causes migrains in APS sufferer's) It can take weeks to stablize an INR after any form of coagulant has been stopped or altered, now I noticed you said you are on asprin did you have to stop!

Hope this has helped you and to be honest any head ache should never be brushed off.......
Love Lou xxxx

1 - 11 of 11 Posts