The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I've been up all night sick with worry and just needed a place to talk, write..whatever... hope you dont mind.

Yesterday my 2 1/2 year old woke up with a lima bean sized blister full of pus on his hand & his finger was all red..looked really disgusting, but I thought it might have been coxsackie virus, common in his age.. so I didnt really panic. My husband is the neurotic worrier, I am the "lets wait 24 hours" one! I soaked him in the tub, cleaned it up and bandaged it and kept an eye on it for the next few hours.

Needless to say, by mid afternoon it was looking terrible, so I brought him to the doctor and was shocked to hear it was a staph infection..possibly MRSA. He biopsied and cultured it so we will will have to wait to see if it is drug resistant.

There has been so much in the news about this lately, I know it has been around for years but lately has killed several adults and school age children here in the states. I was pacing the floors all night, checking him like a looney...making sure he was breathing..not burning with fever and shining a flashlight on his hand to be sure it didnt travel up his arm..NOT NECESSARY I know..but the crazy mom I didnt know was inside of me came out! :eek:

Of course, being pregnant and just getting over a bladder infection myself isnt helping much either!

I feel so terrible, he is such a sweet little boy and it makes me ache to see him going through this. He keeps crying when he forgets and picks something up with that hand, it hurts.

As I'm sure he will be fine and this is the first of many weird things he'll probably get, I'll be sick until it has gone away and the cultures come back negative for MRSA.

Thanks for listening,
Sharon

·
Registered
642 Posts
Hi Sharon,
I don't think you silly at all for checking your boy so often.
It's a good idea to make sure he's not becoming feverish or the infection isn't tracking.
Have you been given anything for it ........like a topical antibiotic. We tend to use Bactrim on our unit for staph or even an MRSA infection.

I'm sure he'll be fine.
Oh the joys of motherhood:worried:

Take care

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
I would do the same thing if it was my little girl. (((hugs))) In addition to what you did, I would probably make my husband sleep in her room with her to keep an extra close eye on her & I'd be popping in there myself whenever I woke up too!

Hope the culture results come back soon and you don't have to wait the whole weekend to find out.

·
elisabethm
512 Posts
HI sharon sorry to hear your little boy is not to well you are not a crazy mum all mother would be the same when it is your child that is sick i do hope he is well soon sending him a BIG HUG let us know how he is doing best wishes from elisabeth:)

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your thoughts and good wishes -

Well it seems less red today, which I would assume means it is responding to the antibiotics.

He is on a topical antibiotic 3X a day (Bactrim) and oral antibiotic (Duricef) 2X a day, hopefully it is doing the trick.

Seems strange where all of these infections and crazy diseases are coming from...I dont remember any of these things going on when I was a child in school.

·
Registered
468 Posts
:there: My gosh so much to worry about, and don't try to put yourself down for checking on him, shoot I checked on my neices when they were totally healthy. You love him and from what we hear in the US has scared us to death. I am glad he is responding to the medicne, much love and hugs to your whole family. Take care, Love, Karly

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.