TheLupusSite.com banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I'm dealing with a major flare but my doctor doesn't like me on steroids (like medrol and prednisone). He currently has me on Medrol until I see him in a week and then said we were going to discuss other meds besides steroids. Any thoughts on what they could be? I'm currently maxed on Plaquenil, Mobic and Cholchicine along with other meds. I had been feeling better on the Medrol dose packs but as soon as I taper down I slide back into the flare. I'm 32 with borderline osteoporosis so I guess that may be the reason against the steroids.

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
Hello again,

There are many other "steroid sparing" meds that can be tried (presuming you haven't already). These include imuran, methothrexate, cellcept... which are all immunosuppressants. By damping down your overactive immune response they can significantly help control lupus. As a longer term treatment option they are very much preferred to steroids by rheumies as their side-effects are less severe.

Which med the rheumy will decide to try will depend on what problems are being targetted (and possibly what is available on health insurance).

I'm sure others will be along with more info soon,
Katharine

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks..that is what I was thinking but I'm very afraid of those as I have small kids who are always sick....would it lower my immune system making me more suseptible to getting sick? My main issues are sever joint pain, neuropsychiatric, pleurisy and pericarditis.

Thanks---I've got to say that you all are a life-saver for me right now.

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
I think the answer to that is different for everyone. For me imuran hasn't changed anything and I have four youngish kids (2+2) who all go back to their respective "other" parents half time and so have lot of cold catching potential. I still don't catch colds when everyone else around me is coughing and spluttering but then I never did at all before - I do now get an occasional scratchy throat.

Obviously I am a bit careful and don't intentionally go to someone's house if I know they have the flu (as in real flu as opposed to a cold) and I now that others with lupus (on and off immunosuppressants) are far more susceptible to catching infection than I am.

Again, it will be different for everyone but the risk is definitely worth taking if it provides better disease control.

Unfortunately, getting the right med combination can have an element of trial and error attached to it but it is well worthwhile for the longterm.

Katharine

1 - 4 of 4 Posts