The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, not diagnosed yet, but wondering about stinging eyes, I know that lupus sufferers get gritty eyes, but mine sting like crazy, especially first thing in the morning, I use a wet tissue to constantly wipe them until they stop. Then especially if its sunny they start again if I am outside, this has gone on for ages, my g p just tells me to use eye drops, but the ones he prescribes are for hayfever, and I get this all year around. I know it sounds like a silly thing to go on about, but it drives me crazy. Dont have rheumy app u ntil Jan 22nd, so still awaiting test results. My ESR was 36 when I had my test for mxt as I have RA, and they just said thats high and means inflamation present. Is there anything I can do to help this? I work with children full time, and get very tired and achy in general, so maybe its partly my own fault!! Thanks:)

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
Hi Barbara :)

My eyes are also very sensitive and sting very easily. I have given up chopping onions altogether as I'd pay for it for the rest of the day - thankfully they come chopped and frozen :lol:

Mine are OK first thing in the morning but often sting when I'm tired and also in any kind of irritating light (store lights, sunlight, light on snow... and they're stinging now looking at the screen :( ) and I wear glasses that darken all the time; I have excellent ones that go dark very fast and also light again very fast and I honestly can't go out without them any more.

I don't know if that's what you're experiencing. My Mum has also always been very UV sensitive and it seems that my son who wears glasses anyway is also.

Katharine

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
stinging eyes

Hi Katharine, Thanks for your reply, yes, I think it is what you suggest. I also wear reactive glasses, but they dont go dark enlough really, but as I have to wear them all the time, I can t wear sunglasses. I dont "do" onions either for the same reasons!!! Thanks for explaining it, now I dont feel so crazy!!!

:rotfl:

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
You can get varying strengths of darkness in glass nowadays and also different shades (grey, brown, pinky...) so maybe next time discuss that with the optician. I was actually surprised when I went in I mentioned that I had an auto-immune disease and was very photosensitive and I wasn't looked at like I was mad - the guy seemed to have actually heard of it :rotfl:

Otherwise I do find that drops help but you have to play around to find which ones are best. Some don't last very long while others (a bit more expensive) need applying less frequently.

Katharine

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Hi Barbs,
Do you have allergies?

I only found out last year that i am allergic to a whole lot of envro things, and they affect me all year around.
Mine itch, sting, and water all the time. In the winter, which i'm dreading now when i have to go to work, as soon as i'm outside in the cold they just stream and by the time i get to work i can't see properly.
I to have to wear glasses and have the reactive coating which helps, i find the bright snow really effects my eyes and it's like being snow blind. i injured my eye playing darts a couple of years ago and since then i have terrible trouble with it.
i only can suggest that you have a chat with your optician and see if he can suggest something else for you to use.
I am sun sensitive in the summer, so maybe that has something to do with it.

Do you get a rash in the summer?
If so then that could be the problem with your eyes.

Sand....

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
stinging eyes

Hi Katharine, I do wear reactalites, but didnt know you could get different sdtrengths of them. Mine are grey, I was offered grey or brown. Will go in and ask about stronger ones, and see if they know what I'm talking about.

Hi Sand... I do get rashes in the sun, I have the butterfly rash (well I THINK its that) and a rash on my chest when its warm out and I wear lower tops etc. I do have problems in bright sunlight, thats when my eyes sting most. I just wish I could find out for definite what it is. Thanbk you both x

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Hi Barbs,
I wish i could find what's up with me as well.
Hugs.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Hi - another possibility is iritis. I was recently diagnosed with this by a consultant ophthalmologist. Iritis is inflammation of underlying eyeball tissue and is common with lupus. Treatment is with steroid eye drops.

Merle

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
Have you been seen by a doctor of ophthalmology? If you haven't, then that is the first place I would go given how this sounds like a pretty severe and longstanding problem. Severe dry eye is something that is also a possibility and there are a number of better options for treating it than allergy eye drops.

I have dry and gritty eyes and they will sting sometimes too and it's just due to bad dry eye. It is curious that yours hurt worst first thing in the morning, you may want to try an eye gel to use at night right before bed, it's a great thing to use for dry eye should that be the problem. Should be available over the counter wherever you are...

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
stinging eyes

Hi Merle, Thanks for the info, have written name of condition down, so will check up on it.

Hi Katharine, Went into opticians today, explained about the problems, they said my glasses will go as dark as needed for the strength of the sun. I said its not enough, so he suggested trying glasses that are permanantly dark, in order to see if its successful he suggested using an old pair and they will darken them to see if it helps. If after a couple of weeks it does, then they can change my reactolite ones. Wilol let you know how it goes. Thanks for advice.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
stinging eyes

Hi Maia, (beautiful name) I havent been seen by opthamologist, it was never mentioned, I expect I need a referral from gp. I have told gp about it,he just gives me drops for hayfever, which dont work. I didn't know about a gel, I can ask at the pharmacy, I live in London, but sometimes we dont have the same products as in other place in Europe or USA etc., Thank you

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Hi Barbara,

I think under the circumstances (not having an appt with Rheumy until January and the fact your already have RA) then you should push your doctor to send you to an eye doctor. I know things are different over there so wondered if even an Optometrist would be able to have a look and see what's going on. An eye doc would be better but Optometrists do have some equipment available. Make sure they know you already have RA and that Lupus is a possibility.

Here's an article explaining the problems you can have with eyes and RA:
The Eye
Corneal and conjunctival manifestations are the most common ophthalmologic features of rheumatoid arthritis. Episcleritis is an inflammatory condition causing redness of the eye and mild pain. Scleritis is more painful and may result in visual impairment. Sjogren's Syndrome occurs frequently in those with RA, adding to the potential for eye problems. According to rheumatologist Barry Waters eye problems are fairly common, "20%-25% of my RA patients have had some sort of eye problems related to RA, however these are easily treated and rarely serious."

http://www.arthritisinsight.com/medical/disease/ra/notjustthejoints.html

There's also a possibility you have something called Sjogren's along with your RA.........that is reknowned for causing dry eye problems. It's important to get this checked out and not to wait. Eyes are too precious and I nearly lost the eyesight in one of my eyes because I wasn't aware I had a problem until an eye doc discovered it. It also helped in diagnosis too.

love
Lily

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
stinging eyes

Hi Lily, Thanks for your advice, I went into opticians today taking a pair of glasses to be tinted, as advised by them. My last eye test was around 18mths ago. I think I may need to see my general practitioner and ask if I need a referral to optomology at hospital. My left eye also twitches alot. I went to pharmacy and bought some eye gel today which is for dry eyes, so hope this will help. Now I know I have RA I hope the gp will take it a bit more seriously this time. He also should have results of various blood tests, so willknow I am being tested for lupus too. Thank you very much,

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Thank you Lily,
That is a very interesting article, just goes to show that RA affects more than just the joints, which i did not know that it can affect so much of our bodies.

Thanks again.
Sand.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.