The Lupus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a call from my Rheumy who said the blood tests I had earlier this week are showing signs of an effect on my liver.
He says I have to stop taking methotrexate (been taking this for 18 weeks and am currently on 25mg)
My joint problems are still not under control and I'm really worried about what will happen when I stop the metho.
Does anyone know how long methotrexate stays in your system and any ideas whether stopping it is likely to send me back into a major flare???
Any thoughts gratefully received as ever.
love
aitch x

·
Registered
710 Posts
Hi,
I had to stop taking metho because my ALT's and AST's were almost 200. I had to have a liver biopsy (which did not hurt). All was well with that and gastro doc put me a drug to protect my liver Urso forte. I was switched to another chemo drug called cytoxin. It took about 2 or 3 months to get liver enzimes back to normal. They have been normal ever since .

Sorry about the font size. Having trouble with some of key on computer.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I'm not sure how long it stays in your system but it could be a while because I think you need to be off it 3 months before trying to get pregnant which I guess means it stays in your system for 3 months.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Elaine and Princess Di,
It seems my ALT/AST levels are over 400 - & it seems I my need to go into hosptial to get it sorted in the next few days.
thanks again for your thoughts
- aitch x

1 - 4 of 4 Posts