The Lupus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:rotfl: So I got some wider fit ballet pumps yesterday from Clarks - they have a semi orthotic foam insole with a bit of arch support. Bought from the granny section of the shop. I keep trying them on to see if I can get away with them - I'm 36 and while I'm not exactly Kate Moss I like to think I'm fashionable for my age. Other half is laughing at me and saying they look fine. Could be worse I suppose. I just need something smart and comfortable for work. My feet have been so painful recently and my joints are really inflamed - my right foot is about half a centimetre wider than my left because of swelling.

These damn feet are doing my head in. So inflamed and red. The pain killers have knocked the edge off my pain, but they're still achy and sore. Might treat myself to a foot spa next.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Hi Ali

Have u tied crocs think u can get them in dark colours, they were the only thing I could wear for a while.

Think u can buy cheapo ones 4 under a fiver here in uk.

PERHAPS YOU NEED HIGHER WATER PILLS

Dixy

·
elisabethm
512 Posts
I am a gran age 54 but like you i hate granny shoe's.We are going on holiday in 3week's and i was at my sister's and i was saying to her.About comfy shoe's or sandal's and she has given me 2pair or sandal's they fit like a glove.Then she came out with the hush pupies i said the same to her i don't think so but when i tryed them on they are great you would not know you had them on so i will be taking them on holiday with me and say Thank you when i come home :lol:Elisabeth

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've tried crocs and they're just not 'me'. Plus my feet are so hot and sweaty I can't imagine what they'd be like inside a pair of crocs all day :lol: I work in a fairly formal office, and I just don't think they'd go down to well, I just wouldn't feel comfortable.

Granny shoes it is then :mad::lol:

PS what do water pills do?

·
The Other Illinois Tammy
1,193 Posts
Ali,
I am sorry that your fashion has taken a down side to the lupus. You can always tell people that you are trying on the granny look to see if it fits you lol. I have the same problem with shoes being too tight on my feet due to swelling. For a long time I thought that was yet another thing I had to live with. Until I went to the famous black Friday sales just after Thanksgiving. They had these amazing shoes called crocs (or knockoffs of them) with a fuzzy lining in them I love them. They are so comfy on my feet and accomidate my often swollen feet.

Usually I have to find shoes with high arches as that is the only thing that helps my back not to go out on me. These shoes have a mild arche and still work just fine. The come in wonderful colors. I have a black pair for work and a light purple pair for fun with normal clothes lol. I liked the so much I got my daughter a couple pair also. Her's are black and hot pink and of course a plain black pair. I am even thinking of getting the summer ones just so my feet don't get hot with the lining in the other ones.

I hope that you are feeling well otherwise and doing well.

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
I have the most comfortable pair of clarks granny shoes. Its all I wear now. Fashion went out my window, cause they are so comfortable. I am 47, but have put the comfort first.:) The hospital also made me a pair of comfortable foam insoles.

Sheila x :)

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
I've also had to buy comfortable shoes recently (I'm 37) and found that both Clarks and Hush Puppies do fashionable sandals.

I bought my Clarks sandals after seeing a friend with a pair and I ended up buying them in 2 different colours. The only time I ever wore Clarks was at school!!

I find that Brantano is a good shop for variety - they have good sales too. There are so many 'funky' styles out there right now but with added comfort. TK Max is also a good shop to try before you buy. If I'm ever doubtful about comfort when trying on then I just don't buy them. I've made too many mistakes in the past thinking 'oh they'll be fine, my feet will get used to them'. Then I go through a box of plasters/band aids and can't walk for a week!! :hehe:

Hugz,

Pam xxx

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Hi all,

Don't they sell Homy Peds over there? They come in great styles these days here and I only buy them at the end of one season to save $$$$.

love
Lily

·
Marika
349 Posts
Hi ,

know exactly what you mean...but as I'm on my feet at school most of the time I had to put comfort first. When I'min UK I often head for Clarks and stock up....a few weeks ago my feet my killing me so i spent a smallfortune (well it was for me) I went to Geox (think thats right) and bought some shoes there they have the holes under the sole so your feat can beath, and quite fashionable too.I aslo bought ( iwas desperate) Pedalinos ????? also not the cheapest but again my poor feet have to support me all day.....so i bought them " beacause they're worth it":wink2::wink2::wink2:

Marikaxxx

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I keep seeing adverts for Geox and they look fab - there's a store at the Trafford Centre, I might have to pop in next time I'm that direction. There are some styles online but I like to try things on first.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Still struggling with my feet - however I bought the most fantastic pair of sandals - they're by Naot and they have replaceable footbeds. They are so light and comfortable but supportive. I wish I'd discovered them a while ago, they are amazing. Going to treat myself to a pair of their mary janes next I think.

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
:bigsmile: I found a cute pair of very comfy shoes (flatties but cute nonetheless!) a couple weeks ago from a warehouse outlet. So far so good, my metatarsal supports fit in them and I can wear them all day and they are comfy.

love
Lily

·
Lisa_S
441 Posts
Can't believe I missed this thread first time round, it's practically my favourite topic...

I have a pair of the Naot Mary Janes, and they're awesome - super cute, kind of funky, and very comfortable with lots of support.

I also have a pair of sandals by Born that are very comfy - the mary janes aren't great for hot days.

My favourite boots are a pair of wedge heeled boots by Timberland, they're warm and waterproof, and the wedge gives me some height without too much teetering...

Lisa

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Lol yes it's my favourite topic too. I've been having a real laugh with the girls at work with my ongoing quest to find comfortable non-granny shoes. There's a real gap in the market. I need to find a shoe designer, I feel a business venture idea coming on..... Dragons Den here I come - I have a pitch for a start up company making fashionable shoes that are comfortable for people with arthritic conditions, cause we're not all 90.

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
I have a pitch for a start up company making fashionable shoes that are comfortable for people with arthritic conditions, cause we're not all 90.
alimonkey - that's how things get started - just remember us when you become a millionaire and remember that the guy who invented geox shoes went with his idea to all the big footwear people and was "ignored" so he decided to go it alone - think he didn't do to badly!

Katharine

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Thanks everyone,

For all the tips on shoes. I have terrible pain and stiffness in my feet. Sometimes feels like my toes will break off.

My Rhuemy wanted me to see a podiatrist, and have special shoes made.
I can't justify the cost. I will look for some of the shoes you have suggested. I won't order them on line, because I have to try them on..before I purchase them, of course.

I read that buying socks with extra thickness is a good idea also, for arthritic feet.

Sandy

·
Janet
32 Posts
OMG! I know exactly what you are going through. It was very difficult for me, diag at 30 yrs old and now i'm 40, had to stop wearing my high heels and stylish slip ons with heal at about 37.....oh i have so many just sitting in my closet right next to about 4 pairs of flip flops and flats with lots of padding inside. I have tried on my heels and just walked around the house for about 2 minutes....just remembering the good ol days. then they had to come off...to painful...later my feet started swelling up, red, painful, knots on the bottom of feet, oh lets not forget the pain in the hips! I do miss them...in fact i look at others wearing them and i start hating! Not sure why i am where i am but what can i do? I do know...i want to be buried with all my fancy high heels...lol! It's time to let go and face it. its hard but time will get you through it.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
For summer sandals, I have found that Grasshoppers has my best comfort. They have elastic bands on the instep and velcro adjustable straps on toes and heel. They are a foam cell bottom which absorbs shocks as I walk. My most comfortable shoes ever were by Mushrooms. The base of the GH is like the old mushrooms were.

My problem is that with the neuropathy in my feet, I don't feel pain until my bones hurt. That makes it impossible to wear standard flats or low pumps as my foot bones hurt horribly. It feels like they are grating against one another with every step I take.

The neuropathy has kept me from feeling the bone spurs which totally ring the heel of both feet. Not discovered until I had x-rays done and my rheumy asked me how long they had been there and didn't they hurt?

With ski season coming up, I want to see if I can get a pair of custom footbeds. I had one pair when I was teaching and they were the most comfortable things ever. Eventually they wore out, and would like to replace them and see if I can get comfort with them.
Sally

·
Registered
138 Posts
Hey, me too! I'm 31 with granny feet (orthotic insoles and need padding or bones hurt) - 3 pairs of clarks down, don't wear anything else. BUT what I do do is if I am going to a party I'll wear clarks to there, take pretty shoes in a bag, put them on when I get there. Not to stand around but I can't do that anyway, so can sit down in them and feel pretty for an hour or so at least :)

I do hate it though, I just went on a girls weekend to Paris and had sorted out the floaty long-sleeved dress and new hat (I am photosensitive) but outfit ruined by the granny shoes at the bottom! Grrr...

Definitely like the sound of the sandals, off to look at the website now...

x Hatty

1 - 20 of 27 Posts