The Lupus Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if people with Lupus have problems with sugar cravings or if I'm just looking for an excuse as to why I eat lots of chocolate8)
Does anyone know?
Julsie

·
Registered
521 Posts
Every once in a while i'll have a craving for sugar, but it just leads me to a piece of candie then its gone.

I'm not a chocolate lover,,, i look at it and gain 30lbs,, so its hard for me to eat cookies and cakes or just a lot of sweets

·
Registered
4,369 Posts
I personally love chocolate, chocolate and more chocolate (not the dark kind though!)- whether I put weight on or not:eek: !

Presently I'm flaring, taking Pred and losing weight - so I'm making the most of being able to eat calorific foods of any kind:wink2: .

Lesley

·
Registered
468 Posts
:hehe: I'm not sure about any connection, but I am always craving chocolate and of course I love it, and not the dark kind that's supposed to be good for you, Those whole chocolate Hershey's symphony bars are my favorite, then after that anything else with a grain of sugar in it. Of course I am putting on weight, there for a while I was just maintaining now it is gaining.:eat:

·
Registered
149 Posts
I have coeliac disease, and I know I used to feel I really needed sugar lots before I got diagnosed. I think what was happening was that I was suffering so much from malabsorption (I had severe villous atrophy on biopsy) that the only thing that kept my energy going was to have frequent quick energy hits with sugar. Interesting that I noticed the same thing was happening with my nephew (he used to drink loads of very sugary soda drinks, and raid the cupboards for sweet biscuits) in the year or two before he was diagnosed with coeliac as well.

·
Registered
457 Posts
I agree with Lesley -am a real chocaholic-choc spread on everything!!

Seriously though I do find I get bad sugar cravings when I'm feeling especailly rough-like I need a 'fix'!!!
Rachel

·
Registered
123 Posts
Sugar just makes me get the energy hit I really need when the world and the SLE has totally sucked all the energy out of my body. About a hour after eating those gummibears i crash but oh for that little while its lovely :)
That desire combined with 30mg of pred means I am hugely fat which makes me more tired but for that moment life is normal again

Sugar, cheaper than any drug around but just as addictive!

·
Registered
23 Posts
I found when I first suffered from fatigue that I craved sugar constantly. I think I thought it might keep me awake and thinking straight. Oddly, since I was diagnosed with lupus I've stopped the cravings. Most days, anyhow!

·
Registered
234 Posts
Oh my God! Sugar is all that I crave right now, being on 60 mg of prednisone due to a horrible flare. My flare had caused me to lose about 20 lbs, so I actually rationalized it by eating the unhealthy stuff. I'lm still on 60 mg and I have a huge head but skinny body. But all I want is CHOCALATE, CAKE, ICE CREAM, anything sweet. I need to go healthy grocery shopping today but I've never been good at eating healthy and picking out the right foods.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I love CHOCALATE!!! :hyper: :eat: I swear if they had a blood test to detect it in my body it would show up as HIGH!!!:hehe: Anyway I was reading my lupus book the other day and it said that prednisone causes sugar cravings it even went as far to say to eat before grocery shopping so that you don't buy all sugary and carbohydrate stuff!! So apparently it is connected somehow to prednisone and so I like that excuse!!!:wink2:

·
Registered
180 Posts
For a few weeks I've been trying to avoid sugar, chocolate, etc. and I can definitely tell now that, as with any drug, the more sugar you eat the more you crave... and the less you eat of it the less you crave. The problem with us lupies is that, as KitKat mentioned above, sugar helps us overcome our fatigue for a while, no matter that after an hour or so our fatigue becomes even worse (we'll go and have another bar of chocolate!). That's why I decided to stop eating chocolate for a while, because it turned out of control: my being in a good mood and feeling active depended on chocolate (75% cocoa in my case, but not healthy any more when you eat too much;) )

·
Registered
4,583 Posts
Hi there, boy oh boy, Julsie, I would love to challenge you to a duel on how much we could eat. I love the new dark, Dove small bites. the other day, I was really hurting as I am in the middle of a bad flare, and I was nervous cause I quit my primary care dr. and I was crying, oh what a drama scene. anyway, hubby went out and got choc. ice cream, and the brand new Hersheys bottle of extra dark syrup to go over it. In my research, which is in my closet, I find choc. cures all.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi

Im so glad you wrote about this because I thought I was going nuts lol
When I found I had Lupus and got out of the hospital my body just craved for sugar things like I was lil kid in a candy store. I was never a sugar eater but after this all happend I love sugar Now lol.So it probably has to with the lupus or the pills!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts