The Lupus Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there !

I am trying to focus on positive things so I am focusing on a cruise I may be taking.

Does anyone have any suggestions on hats and umbrellas?

Umbrellas I am looking for something that just fold up small and easy to put in beach bag to carry off cruise ship to island, so don't want this big thing to lug around. I can't depend on finding an umbrella or shade and really want to rely on my own as I can't be in the sun

Hats - Ok, some people look beautiful in hats. I am not one that looks good in a hat. Funny and hilarious is how I look. I know it is not about fashion - but it is for me ! I want to look ok and not funnY :lol:
I usually wear a cap in the summer around my house where no one can see me. :wink2:
Those big straw hats are just not looking good on my head.
Any suggestions?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Most of the islands that the cruise ship deals with have umbrellas if you are going to sit on the beach but if it is just to walk around just get a plain rain umbrella that works great. Just make sure that you take plenty of sun block with you. Is it just you and your husband that is going on the cruise or is your son going with you? :wink2: Laurie

·
Administrator
10,178 Posts
Hi Paula,

I look terrible in hats. Recently I found a decent one at REI, an outdoor sports store. It was made for water sports so is water repellant and sunscreen protected (UPF40+). The brim is wide and the crown is of a lightweight material so it can breathe. It also folds easily to fit in my suitcase. I won't be in a fashionalbe straw hat but I will be comfortable and it actually looks ok on me. So if you can't find something in a conventional store try a sporting goods store.

Take care,
Lazylegs

·
Registered
300 Posts
I was just about to post a link for the Coolibar web site, but I see Caroline beat me to it!!

They have nice items (and hats!!) for us sun sensitive folks..you can request a catalog too.

Have fun shopping!
Sharon

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Hi paula

I hope you have a wonderful trip!how exciting :yahoo:
It will do you good after all what you have been through.

good luck with the hats & umbrella's...I loathe wearing a hat but I won't be without one now..I just try not to look in any mirrors or shop windows :lol:

take care paula..please keep us updated
karen x

CAROLINE...the coolibar website is fab!!!..I love the hat's,so much choice!..I got all excited until I realised that they don't deliver to the uk :sad: ...never mind eh x

·
Registered
4,369 Posts
Paula, I do hope you go on the cruise ship holiday - I'll think of you relaxing in the shade sipping a nice cocktail!

Have a lovely time if you do go and let us know how it goes!

Snap Karen! I got excited and suddenly realised no UK shipping!

I wonder if anyone knows of a similar supplier in the UK!

Love and hugs!
Lesley

·
Registered
5,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok - I found a hat. Hubby went with me and I tried on so many hats, like a fashion show actually that my hair became so staticky it was sticking straight up and I lost my earing somewhere :hehe: but I found a hat !!!!

It is white, and you can turn inside out and it can be worn black. It is like a cap but the a little wider, and it i has a bow on the back making it a little more stylish. It has black stiches around the front like a ribbons in and out through the part that covers your forward and when you flip it to the black hat, it is white stiches. Kind of stylish.

So now the search begins for some kind of umbrella that I can fold up and put in my bag but will be big enough for a beach umbrella. I can't seem to find any and maybe this is something I can design and sell :wink2:

·
Registered
457 Posts
Ooohhh checked out www.coolibar.com, fab! Does anyone know of something smiliar in the UK?:)

Rachel

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
:)

Google (sun protective clothing UK).
Sun hats need 4" 10 cms brim all the way round - a baseball cap will not hack it. You shouldn't be able to see the light through them. Cloth ones are easily foldable.

I also have a scarved fabric UV hood that protects sides of cheeks which hats can't cover when sun is low or there is high reflection
One time I had to go out in high hot sun I took a regular black umbrella as well as sun hat. It can be angled to protect you, and was very helpful indeed

Clare

·
Registered
84 Posts
I just got my package from Coolibar yesterday. I ordered two hats. But sadly they really looked bad on my. So they need to go back. But I did find two really nice umbrella's. One is the Golf umbrella, it's 48" in diameter. It's silver, supposed to refect more of the sun that way I guess. And the other umbrella is just a small umbrella made out of the same silver material the golf umbrella is made from. The smaller one could be slipped into your purse. The golf one is very big. But might be good for the beach. I got the bigger one for when we go to family outings and reunions. I found searching through the internet, on a golf website a contraption that hooks to the back of a fold up lawn chair you can put a big umbrella in. It also fits on golf bags. Haven't received it just yet. But I have my fingers crossed that it will work.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts