The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it possible to react to the sun indoors? Or maybe even those eco light bulbs?

Reason I ask is my wife has just noticed that I have a lot of redness on my nose, cheeks and above the eye brows.

But thing is I have only been out very briefly when I went A&E yesterday... and even then I was hardly in the sun at all.

My living room has fairly large windows which allows sunlight in, but I do have net curtains (doubt this would make much of a difference though!)

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
Certainly can get a good amount of sun exposure indoors, especially without blinds if you sit near the windows. There is actually evidence that men tend to get more skin cancers on their left arms in the US (due to that arm getting sun exposure while driving). I'm sure for the UK folks... it would be the right arm getting more skin cancers!

Clearly, you can get plenty of extra sun exposure inside a car or house. You may want to just make it part of your routine to apply sunscreen every morning, and again later in the day as it does wear off (if you believe you have the sun sensitivity feature of SLE).

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
Hi,

I have found a significant difference to my general "well-being" if I make sure that every morning I put on sunscreen even though most days I actually don't go out during the day at all (save a ten minute dog walk in the morning before the sun comes up too much). Recently, my chemist's was closed and the only sunscreen I could get is one that I can't stand as it feels like butter on your skin. Of course that meant that I didn't put it on except in those exceptional circumstances where for one reason or other I was outside longer during the day. I noticed that I was much worse off for joint and tendon pain as well as fatigue.

Some people can react to eco-bulbs though I seem to be OK with them despite being very photsensitive. I do definitely react to strip lighting and it was a pretty big problem when I was working outside the home as I used to work in several different offices which all had strip lighting. You MAY have reacted to the strip lighting at A&E but I'd say that natural daylight in the house is at least as important. When I think of it, in winter, I sometimes need the lights on to work whereas I never do in spring/summer months - that's a whole load more light.

I read an article by a top rheumatologist that said that sunscreen should always be worn, indoors and outdoors, summer and winter. Of course, I'm sure that for some people it doesn't play much of a role in their lupus but he was saying that even if you couldn't "see" the effects, it was important. That was what made me start applying it all the time and, for me at least, it makes a difference.

Katharine

·
Registered
310 Posts
Hi,

I truely believe that the sun can affect us indoors. I don't think glass gives us a sufficient protection.
I too, start my day by putting on sunscreen even when the sky is completely clouded.
I have sunscreen with me all the time and I always wear long sleeves, even when I stay in my house.

Hugs

Maura

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So another silly question please...(to which I think I already know that the answers will be) BUT do you apply sunscreen to the ENTIRE body? Or just to the parts that are exposed? Face, neck, arms etc?

·
Registered
310 Posts
I think it is a very good question and I am curious about what other think about it.
I put in on my arms, face and neck, not on my legs since I mostly wear jeans and sneakers.
If I wear a skirt or dress however I put it on my entire legs and feet.

Maura

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
I can tell you at the price of it, just to the bits that are exposed! Face, neckline, back of neck. I don't even bother with backs of hands as I rarely sit there with them "in the sun". The exception to that would be if I have to go to an outdoor event when I will also do the backs of hands. I'd guess you don't wear a dress too often, so I think you'll be OK there and, if you do, go for the longer ones :rotfl:

When out I am careful to cover up and to remember that denser "knit" materials offer more protection as do darker colours. A normal white T-shirt only offers an SPF of 7. I'm usually in jeans and something longsleeved. Not always easy to be "fashionable" like that but as I'm an oddball anyway, I manage. Some of the "safari" type shirts are pretty thick and offer good protection and then, of course, there's the sun protective clothing - also hideously expensive - which I reserve for the more "extreme" times out.

Oh, I just remembered. On nozone, they have an inexpensive white T shirt which is SPF 50 protection, just saw that the other day, seemed good to me as pretty much normal wear...jeans and T shirt.

I have talked to much again, bet I'm proving someone's theory here - hahaha

Katharine

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Katharine, you most definitely have not talked too much :)

You can never have enough information, so please keep talking :)

Right, let me tell you folks what I wear on a normal sunny hot day, and could you please advise me whats best....

I wear a t-shirt - which exposes my arms from the biceps (which I have none of) down. Sometime they also have a low neck line.

I wear jeans (never shorts as I have matchstick legs) and trainers.

So, Im guessing sunblock to the face, neck, arms and maybe chest? Or as t-shirts offer very little protection do I just douse my entire body in the stuff? I know "play safe" but dont wanna be to much of a paranoid f4rt :rolleyes:

·
The vortex of insanity!
154 Posts
Florescant lights apparently can cause some damage, and I wear sunscrean even indoors year round. but only where skin's showing, or could show (i.e. if i'm wearing a sweatshirt over a tee shirt I still do my arms)

·
Registered
180 Posts
Hi Surferboy,

In my case sunlight does definitely affect me indoors if, for instance, I´m too close to a window or, especially, if the sunlight reflects on a wall, even for a very short time.

Cheers,

Luscinda8)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts