The Lupus Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help, I have been on here in the past, with symptoms of Lupus, but not dx yet. My GP wants to keep "watching" symptoms and ANA results before a referal to a Rheumy. (Whatever, huh, I'm about over that).

Anyhow, my hubby and i took the kids to the smokey mountains this week for their spring break, and I have the WORST sun poisoning that Ive ever had. it is on both arms and neck, looks like poison ivy only a thick covering everywhere i was burnt!!! it itches terribly, and looks like i have a disease!!! Is there anything that will help, i have been usuing baby lotion like crazy, but should i do anything else, go to md, didnt know. have had it mildly in the past, but NEVER like this, and didnt even get a bad burn. Thanks in advance for all of your help. I need it...

·
Registered
233 Posts
Hi Momma...sorry about your sun-rash/burn. If you were to go see a Pharmacist, I am sure he would perscribe Calamine lotion. You can get it with an antihistamine in it which helps the itch immensely. If you can only get Calamine lotion, I'm sure the Pharmy would recommend an antihistamine pill. Baby lotion will be of no help, what you need is a moisturizing cream.... after the calamine lotion soothes the burning-itching. Then you moisturize your skin.
Good luck.

·
11,408 Posts
Momma,
Has your doctor ever seen this rash? I would recommend that you take a picture of it to show your doctors.

You can give your doctor a call or talk to your pharmacy to see what they recommend for your burn.

Itching is awful,:( I hope you get some relief soon.

Lyn

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
Hi I agree with Lyn. It would be a good idea, at the very least, to take pictures of the rash you have.

It may be worth going to see the doc anyway. I once got second degree burns from 5 minutes (really!!) in the sun and needed antibiotics and special sprays from the doc to treat them.

Otherwise, if it is less severe the calamine lotion does work very well - Can't get it here in Belgium but still, I don't ever ever go out in the sun any more.

Katharine

·
Registered
15 Posts
Sun reaction

Hi Momma,

I too suffer from the after effects of the sun it only takes 5 minutes and I am a mess. The only thing that quickly stops the intching and reduces the inflamation for me is steroids. If I have to go out in the sun e.g. holiday I take them 2 -3 days before I go and then I am ok.

Squiffy8)

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
I think your MD is a voyeurist. How much more evidence does he want?
Seriously, such a severe reaction to the sun is more frightening than some might think. I wonder if your disease is revving up? I had similar symptoms though juston the back of one hand; it triggered a terrible flare. Now it is gloves, long sleeves, hat and sunblock any time I step out the door. I do *not* want to go through that again. Ever!
Good luck and please be careful.
Douglas+

·
Registered
26 Posts
EUCERIN original moisturizing lotion

It comes in a few different ways...the really thick stuff is so cooling but the lotion works also...it is expensive but worth every penny...trust me...

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
I would reccomend seeing your dr. When it is that bad I am afraid that steroids might be your only relief and you can't mess around with this, like Douglas said it can be very serious!!!!
I also think it is must since you are not diagnosed.;)

Hugs,
Becca

·
Registered
11 Posts
Might be a lupus sun-reactive rash...

If you have what I had/have, there is very little relief to be found in lotions... I wear an spf 60 and avoid exposure of my skin as much as possible because the past couple of years I've had less and less tolerance to the sun.

It was a dermatologist who finally told me it was lupus, as if I should have known... Best advice was sunscreen-- protects you in advance, but soothes if you've got a sun rash. I found most lotions/creams/prescriptions irritated my skin-- one exception was a hypoallergenic face moisturizer, but it gets expensive using face cream on your hands and arms!

Baking soda baths help a bit, or cool showers. And go see your doctor fast!

I've learned to manage the sun... simply wear loads of sunscreen or stay out of it... but after a lovely walk in the Spring sunshine two days ago, I do wonder what other effects it has on me.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you all so very much for all of the advice. I am getting better now. And did take pics for the doc. I am getting rid of the acute sun poisoning rash/bumps, and now have petechaie and purpura where I scratched. yeah. :lol:

Was wondering if anyone other women get petechaie with their monthly cycle? i have just been noticeing this also. thank you all again. I enjoy the conversation on here.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts