The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't been diagnosed officially yet but they are looking into lupus, and I was curious how the sun affects the flare ups. It seems it takes almost no time at all in the sun and I get red blothchy rash looking thing, not burned which doesn't really icth or hurt and goes away after being out of the sun for a while, but when I get the rash from the sun I've noticed alot of my other symptoms get worse? Is that the way it works or is this something else? Thanks for everyones help, I'm just so confused at this point!

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
It is similar for me. Any sun and the skin is likely to turn red and puffy, a sort of a blister and then it is flare-up-city. My first and worst was when it was just the back of my left hand exposed and much bodily misery ensued for many day.
Douglas+

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hi. I have not been diagnosed with lupus either. It has just been mentioned as possible. I get the blotchy red rash thing too. It usually happens after about 30 minutes in the sun. It is not raised or anything, just red and blotchy and usually just on my legs but i usually wear sunscreen on my arms and shoulders. It dissappears shortly after I get out of the sun.

My joint pain has become worse after being in the sun, but not always. Sometimes it is the next day. The redness on my face usually gets a little worse unless I wear sunscreen(which I usually do).

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
I become ill with extreme fatigue, headache, flu type symptoms almost immediately. It is rare for me to be able to stay out long enough to get a rash. So yes, the sun does affect all the other symptoms too.
Good luck with diagnosis.
x Lola

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Hi er,

It's very common for the majority of lupies to get not only rashes but other symptoms after sun exposure. The UV rays have a reaction with the cells in our bodies and can cause inflammation anywhere. Ranging from skin to major organs depending on how the individual is affected.

Sunscreen that blocks UVA & UVB helps, along with wearing a hat and there is even some sun protective clothing available if you really must be out in it. Most of us try and limit our exposure, remember even on a cloudy day the UV rays still get through.

love
Lily

·
Registered
34 Posts
Oh boy I thought if you cover up your rash with hat and sunblock it would be fine.
I do feel ill after too much sun coming to think of it now.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks

thanks for everyones comments, I will definately have to be much more cautious of the sun knowing that. I'm having a very hard time finding good doctors that will listen. I'm in Oregon so if anyone knows of a doctor it would really help!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts