The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone

I feel like a blummin hypochondriac lately on this board but I have to ask as I'm new to all this lupus stuff and it seems to be throwing new things at me all time... It's been lovely and hot and sunny here all day - so I've been out in the garden (wearing sunscren and a hat as I've been told to do - well eventually after I remembered:) anyway (slightly embarrssing) I've been out there until about half an hour ago as I suddenly started to feel hot and cold at the same time and had to run in to go to the loo (diarrhoea) still feel quite shaky and very odd - hot and cold and very shivery.. do you think this is down to sun? I know last week I put a post on here about feeling poorly after being in the sun but I thought by wearing sunscreen and a hat I would be ok) but I feel absolutely awful now:worried: does anyone else feel like this after sun exposure - or do you think it something else?

Thanks and sorry for being a pain - I wouyldn't ask but i hate feeling like this -

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
Hi there,

Yes, I do feel that awful after sun exposure and my exposure is limited to the absolutely necessary. If I stay out when it is sunny or hot I quickly get exhausted and achy way beyond what is normal for anyone else. I used to have a car that had no airconditioning and even driving that if it had been in the sun would send me into an almost coma like state.

My dog is walked in the evening for the moment and, I have got to the stage where I don't care what my neighbours think of my garden - or lack of.

I don't know if it is more the sun or the heat I can't stand.
Katharine

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Hello, I am just like Katherine, Very Sun sensitive, to the point of almost total avoidance.
You are best to at least avoid the time when the sun is at its strongest. Also please use sunblock all over, and when wearing hats and long sleeves please make sure they are quite close weave as lacy things may look pretty but won't protect you as well. Good sunglasses are important too.

X Lola

·
Registered
521 Posts
Hi,

I wear spf70 even if i don't go out,, my house has a lot of windows so i have to wear it all the time.
campmor.com is a site that has sunprotive clothing. If you google clothes sun protection you will find many places have them,, but they are expensive, that is why i look for the deals.
When i go out i'm wearing sunprotective clothing as well as spf70,, sometimes a hat sometimes not. But that spf70 helps a great deal.

·
Registered
995 Posts
jb1, I have the same problems as you, I wouldn't know if your is lupus but mine has been confirmed for the last five years. the heat makes me very ill. when the sun comes for the season I only go out after 6 pm. unless it is very important or going quickly to a a/c all ready cool car

which is another thing as a/c bothers my muscles. so it is a lose lose case

fall is the best time of year for me. I wear the least amount of clothes that I can get away with or very light. and lot of sunscreen,hat all the things I should do.
I find running cool water over my head and wrists helps to keep my internal temp down, it goes between shivers and so hot I think I will faint.
good luck and try everything you can think of to enjoy the nice weather

·
Registered
310 Posts
Hi,

I know what you mean. I never leave my house without long sleeves, lots of sunscreen (50), a hat. When I walk down the street I see people staring at me not understanding why I am wearing so many clothes with such warm weather.
I always feel sore all over and very tired even if my sun exposure is very limited.

Hugs

Maura

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Hi

yes I am very sun sensitive too :sad: even though I cover up,wear a hat & high factor sun block I still hardly spend any time in the sun..I avoid it as mush as possible.

oh and don't be worrying about questions, Ask away!..knowledge is power as they say & we certainly need it with this complicating disease!:rolleyes:

I hope you feel better today
take care..karen x

·
Registered
26 Posts
The Sun!

Hi There!
I posted a while back about the same thing. I am extremely sun sensitive & was wondering if I was the only one out there that got flu like symptoms after being exposed to the sun :(. For me, as with others I see, it does not matter if I am covered in SPF85, with long sleeves and a hat, I still feel ill. I try to avoid the sun at all costs... It's no fun but it sure beats feeling crappy! I often joke about being a vampire, coming out only at dusk or later :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
my daughter went out in the sun today she had her hat on but after about 10 min she came over all faintish nearly so had to come inside she has also a couple of times felt as though she was goin to faint but she then all right after a couple of min its more when she gets out of the bath so ive told her she isnt to have one just a shower, these symptems of feelin faint have only just started so could some please give me advice on what can be causin this thanks

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Hi jb1,

You sound a bit better off than your other bout with the sun prior to using the SPF and a hat, so that's an improvement ;)

However it does sound like you suffered the effects of being out there too long. How long were you out? Did you renew your sunscreen every 2 hrs? I'm not sure on what others do but my sunscreen says I should do this every couple of hours especially if I am sweating. Not that I'd be out there for 2 hrs :rotfl:they'd be carting me off to hospital! See what works for you, we each have a different amount of sensitivity to the sun. Mine is pretty bad. I love my gardening but I do my gardening in the shade, working around the house and following it so I can avoid the direct sunlight. Remember sunlight will reflect off water and paving/concrete etc. so the hat will protect you somewhat, along with sunscreen but you will still get some rays coming through.

love
Lily

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all your replies guys! I guess I was out there a bit long... from 10 till 3 with a break of an hour for lunch and no I didn't renew my sunsceen at all:( I never used to be sensitive to the sun at all and never burned or anything even though I'm fair but all of a sudden it seems to make me poorly! Just like someone has got a straw and sucked all the lifeforce out of you (and given you the runs as well - yuck) I shall try and be more careful and not stay out as long in the future but as yet I'm not very disiplined with this lupus thing - I'm trying to show it who's boss but it is fighting back. I just can't get it in my head that sun can cause this illness to worsen - it seems so ridiculous - but then alot of things about lupus are ridiculous - it is one bizarre condition!! I just can't get my head round it at all!

I'm sorry to hear so many of you suffer with the sun - its so cruel this thing oh well at least there's a lot of cool looking hats out there ;) Thanks again for your replies xxx

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
It's called "learning by bitter experience" I think. If it is at all hot everybody needs to take care either side of the midday sun if only because of the horrendous rise in skin cancers. Don 't go out in it.The heat alone can be hard to take. There's a very good reason why Mediterranean countries have a very long lunch or siesta.

Take care

Clare

·
Registered
300 Posts
Hi JB1,

Even if I am in the shade, if I am out in the heat, I feel similarly to you. My arms and legs become weak and trembly and I also get serious stomach upset.

Before diagnosis, I was a beach bum...loved it and spent hours laying around and swimming...could never understand why I couldnt drive the car home because my legs would not work!

I still love the beach, but we take my little one after 6pm in the evening, after the sun has gone down and I still hide under a big umbrella, hat and SPF. At least this way, I dont feel like I have to give up everything I still enjoy and my family can share this too.

Sharon

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi

I do know how you feel. Im new to Lupus too but dont feel bad for asking people because thats what this forum is for. I too am sun sensitive to the sun.And half to be careful. But I dont know if anyone wears makeup but there is this brand Called Jane Foundation you can usually get it at Kmart and it has SPF 30 in it. Thought you might like to know. And usen alot of sunblock helps too. But so far the Jane makeup foundation where i get rashes from sun has helped me alot. I guess it just depends how fraigile you are to the sun.But there are things out there to help you. Thanks Laura

1 - 14 of 14 Posts