TheLupusSite.com banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Brenda
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
3 in 1 post here. I'll start off saying I am seeing my doctor next week and will talk to him about this... that being said...

Do ya'll have feet swelling? Mine is absolutely painful by night. I think they will explode any minute. Lately it has been in one foot and the other may barely be swollen. I'm on a daily diuretic plus extra when needed. I had a doctor tell me not to drink water when I'm swelling because it would add more to the body. That was a long time ago and a different family doctor than I have now. I think he was full of hooey. I've been doing that for a long time but I think I'm going to start drinking more water and seeing if my kidneys work more. Any views on this?

Also... medical supply stores now carry those air massage boots. Has anyone successfully used those for the swelling? I wonder if insurance would cover them.

It's miserable not being able to ride in a car or sit in a chair for very long. I sympathize with all ya'll who've lived with this for years. You know what is funny is I have more swelling after getting off steroids than I had when I was on them.

Anyhoo I hope ya'll are having a wonderfully flare free day!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi

Your post concerned me. Fluid (water) intake is essential for bowel health and the regular flushing of the kidneys. The oedema you have described seems to me to be interstitial and from what I have read on google the answer is to drink more water, not limit it. I don't normally take for gospel what I read on t'internet, but if that is the prevailing information, I would most definately get a second opinion....and not necc. from a GP, do you have access to any other medical staff. An nephrologist, rheumi, dietician etc????

Please please please check this out and take a second opinion. I have never heard of this being recommended for the treatment of oedema.

Do come back to us and let us know.

·
Registered
467 Posts
hi

i'm with sarah...drinking more water is usually suggested with fluid retention, not to mention needed for intestinal health and kidneys.

feel better and prop your feet up

hugs and kisses

·
Registered
647 Posts
Aren't those balloon feet just lovely?! Nothing like having your feet look like sausages to make a girl feel attractive!:wink2:

I get pitting edema really bad some days. When I have a flare of vasculitis my legs and feet feel like they will explode if I touch them. I haven't tried the massage boots, but it seems like a interesting way to go.

I have alot of luck with a massage therapist who gently massages my legs with long strokes to help get the fluid moved out. If I fly anywhere, I usually have a massage booked for when I land just for that reason. To be able to take along massage boots for car or plane trips sounds like a good idea to me for sure!

I've also considered compression stockings, but found you need a prescription for them! It's all based on the size of your leg and how much the doctor wants to keep things moving along I guess. Airhead me can never remember to ask to doctor for a prescription while I am there. :doh:

I'd be really interested to hear from anyone that has tried either the boots or compression stockings before I go investing in something new.

·
The Other Illinois Tammy
1,193 Posts
Brenda,
You are right it feels like your skin will just split open. It is somewhat painful also. I am not sure what fluid pill you are on but the two different ones I take both say take with a full glass of water. I would think that is to flush things out of your system and also so you don't start to dehydrate while on fluid pills. It is possible to take to much fluid off at one time that is why you should drink at least a couple glasses of water throughout the day. The fluid pills are not doing to much to help so I hope yours are working better than mine are. I hope you feel better soon.

·
Administrator
10,165 Posts
Hi Brenda,

I used the massage boots when I was in the hospital after my hysterectomy. They were strange at first but I ended up loving them. Not only did they help the possible clotting issue, they kept the Restless Leg under control by repeatedly stimulating the legs. The doctor offered to do a prescription for home use but I was afraid my husband would have a difficult time sleeping with it going on every few minutes.

The good ones are very expensive. I would call your insurance carrier and see if they cover them if prescribed by a doctor.

Take care,
Lazylegs

·
Brenda
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you all for your replies. I just can't figure out why the top of my right foot won't go down much in swelling. I will talk to the rheumy next week and ask him. And I do intend to drink more water, I did today.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts