The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I have been trying to avoid the hype from the swine flu panic, but some of my friends have come down with mild symptoms after being in contact with someone who definitely had it. I am not on immunosuppressants, just Palquenil and diclofenac...should I be steering clear of these people, even though they are not officially confirmed? Should I be thinking about taking extra precautions day to day? What is likely to happen if I got swine flu?

Thanks!

RM

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
Hello Roseanne,

Although I too am avoiding any hype, I personally would steer clear of them until I am sure that they are better as your immune system may be compromised through lupus itself even if you are not on immunosuppressants. I don't know if you usually get infections and viruses easily...

If you do get swine flu you are likely to be ill in the same way as anyone else, however, there is always that small chance that a faulty immune system would make you sicker.

If you do get symptoms make sure you get in touch with your GP straight away. He should be able to get you started on Tamiflu. If you are worried that you may already have had too much contact, it wouldn't hurt to put in a call to your GP's surgery to ask for advice and be sure.

that's just my take,
Katharine

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hi

Swine Flu has finally hit the islands also I'm terrified. Being immunesupressant.
I will stay away from your friends until they are all better. Remember to wash your hands often and use wipes when opening public doors.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.