The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so my kids come home with all the swine flu vaccination reports.. Offering to give shots at their school… I personally decided I would not do this vaccination.. For many reasons but that is another story and does not apply to my reasoning behind this post LOL
It has two types of shots offered.. The first is a nasal spray that has a weakened live H1N1 virus.. I am assuming that even though it is weakened, that we, those with lupus and other similar problems are not to get this type???
The other type is the inactive shot.. Meaning this type is “safer” for those with Lupus to get???

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
Hello Jenn

I know for sure that the nasal spray should not be given to people with lupus and I am pretty sure that that close family shouldn't get it either but I would check that out if nobody else here can confirm it. Maybe that depends on how immunosuppressed you are. I think that we might catch a 'live ' vaccine if we are exposed to the vaccinated person. That was certainly a concern when smallpox vaccines were being talked about so I am wondering if I am really thinking of that. Check with US CDC site?

:)
Clare

·
Registered
65 Posts
In the uk they start next week and they are just the normal vaccine not using the spray. They are only starting with those at risk, I have put my name down for the vaccine because they have said that our g.p's will be sending us a letter to be called up but my g.p said that is a load of rubbish. So my partner and I are on the list he has asthma but we just dont know what to do we both have never had a vaccine before and are very concerned.

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
Hi Jen,

My doctor told me exactly what Clare said...........NO ONE IN THE FAMILY SHOULD GET THE SPRAY AS IT DOES HAVE LIVE VIRUS IN IT!!!!!

He did recommend the vaccine via shot but I am with you and for personal reasons I am not getting the shot.

Hope this helps but do check with your doctor. Let us know what he says.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.