The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seeing the thread about someone having come down with swine flu, I was wondering whether having an autoimmune disorder such as lupus would constitute being in an 'at risk group' and thus mean that you would be in the first wave of those due to receive the vaccine when it comes out in the early autumn?

I had the seasonal flu jab last year as I do have respiratory problems but seeing that 'having suppressed immunity' qualifies you to get the normal flu jab I just wondered if that also applies to autoimmunity issues?

I'd be interested to hear other people's views on that one!

Lily

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
That's a good question :)

I really don't know and the actual "vaccine" idea is all very new but in the BBC report I saw they mentioned the groups of people at risk and did mention "people with immune disorders". I would say that includes us :) Now all we need is to see if it works in practice.

Personally I don't think I'll be considered at risk as my docs don't even give me a flu jab (I don't actually know why but they prefer not to :scratch:).

Katharine

·
elisabethm
512 Posts
That is a good question how would they distrbute it and who would get the injection and who would not.I also get the flu jag i have an appointment on monday with the astma clinic if you can wait that long i will ask and see what she says.She knows that i have lupus so i will ask her if we are more at risk of getting it. Elisabeth

·
Registered
6,152 Posts
Here in Ireland as soon as my GP got word of my Lupus diagnosis he said that I must have the flu vaccine because I was in an 'at risk category'. He recently reminded me to go back to him around September when the Swine flu vaccine would be available for the winter.

Hope this helps
Joan:rose:

·
Administrator
10,208 Posts
Like Joan from the time I received my diagnosis I have been given a flu jab. Since I am on immunosuppressants it is even more important to have one now.

Take care,
Lazylegs

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Ditto Here as well, I also have to get the pneumona and shingles jabs as necessary.

Stephanie

·
Registered
89 Posts
I was offered the normal flu jab last winter when my diagnosis was only a possibility. But Norfolk have issued no guidance yet as to who gets it first except for the fact that it will be in August. If I hear anything soon I'll let you know.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.