The Lupus Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi:

I was at my Nephrologists today, and got my flu shot. I asked him about the Swine Flu Vaccine and what was my status for getting it.

He said that it should be available early October. Any immunocompromised person (on any immuno supressant) wshould be included in the very first group eligible to get the vaccine here in US,
we should be included with Healthcare workers and pregnant women.

Hope this helps relieve the stress for some of you!

Stephanie

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
Yes that's what I was told here in Belgium too :)

·
Registered
4,369 Posts
Yes that's also what I was told in UK!

But was also told the just having SLE does not get you into that category...you have to be using immunosuppresent drugs like Imuran, Aza, Pred etc!

Saying that my GP Surgery will over ride the system and allow me the vaccine if I decide I want it!

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
I was told that here in Jersey too.

Good to know that all over the world the doctors are on the same page with this.

Thanks Stephanie.:wink2:

·
Registered
65 Posts
Im in the UK and my g.p has told me that im not in the at risk group so I will not be called up for the jab. I am on pred but she said that is not classed as an immunesuppressant.

Sam

·
Registered
150 Posts
I'm in the UK and I was told that you have to be on an immune suppressant such as azathioprine, mycophenolate mofetil, methotrexate, cyclophosphamide. As far as I know plaquenil and NSAIDS don't count.

I am surprised to hear that pred doesn't count though and I would imagine that most docs would at least count a high dose of pred. . . ..

I haven't heard any dates for it yet but hoping it'll be October . . . .

Cathy x

·
Lisa_S
441 Posts
Canada has just released the guidelines for "priority" for the vaccine, as well, and the priority list includes anyone under 65 with a chronic health condition. (can't imagine lupus not qualifying...)

They're also saying there will be enough vaccine to immunize anyone who wants it, but the supply won't all be available right away, so they'll start with the higher priorities first.

Lisa

·
Registered
310 Posts
Hi,
I live in Belgium.
I work in a hospital so normally it is better to have a flushot but my rheumatologist says it is better not to take it? So last year I didn't.
Do you all take the flushot and did it ever provoke a flare?
I want to have the swine flu vaccine since I will be travelling abroad during the month of November.

Hugs

Maura

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
Hello Maura,

The general advice given by the top Belgian rheumatologists is to have the flu shot (The lupus association newsletters relay that advice) and the swine flu shot.

My rheumatologist, however, didn't push for the flu shot until I started taking immunosuppressants so I think a lot has to do with what meds you are on.

I think docs will always disagree to an extent on this but the general recommendations worldwide are to have both the seasonal flu and swine flu shots (and sometimes the pneumocoque - not sure what that is in English).

Most people don't have a reaction to the seasonal flu shot but of course there are always exceptions where people may get a few days with mild flu-like symptoms.

As for the swine flu shot... it's a bit early to say really how people will react to it.

Katharine

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
Hi Maura

I have been having the seasonal flu shot for years now urged by my lupus doctors and generally recommended because if we get flu we are more likely to be harder hit. In fact if we are on immunosuppressants it can be a good idea to get it twice because our bodies aren't so good at making the required antibodies. I am at risk according to my GP because a) chronic disease b) medicines certainly imuran but also he counts anti malarial although not technically an immunosuppressant, plus nowadays c) old age.

I have had the pneumococcal (?) vaccine too a couple of times. I need to check if another is due in the UK and I don't know about swine flu yet.
I forgot to ask last week.

Good luck to us all
Clare

·
Registered
49 Posts
Maura-
I am a nurse in a hospital and my Dr. here has always advised me to take the flu shot due to my increased risk. We are around so many sick people we have to protect ourselves. 2 years ago I got the flu and ended up in the hospital even though I had gotten the flu shot, he said it would have been much worse if I had not gotten it.
I am now in methotrexate, I started it 6 weeks ago, I will be getting both injections, reg flu and H1N1 when available. I will also make sure my husband and children have the flu shots this year, if they get sick they could bring it home to me.:eek:

Delana

1 - 11 of 11 Posts