TheLupusSite.com banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't buy into the news sensationalism so much. Every year the non-bird/non-swine, regular old whatever strain of influenza is circulating, claims over 30 thousand victims. Because the swine flu is a NEW virus, more people may actually contract it because hardly anyone is immune to it. Obviously, the more people contract it, more people are going to die from it.

That said, I'm curious what your thoughts are on how the percentage of the population who are more or less immunocompramised (us.) will fair in the event of a pandemic flu which may be more severe than the average flu.

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
Hello there,

We have had a couple of threads on this issue (you can do a search using the words "swine flu") which went into various possibilities....

On the whole, the flu itself seems no more "severe" than regular flu. Every year the media comes along and tells us "this is it, the big one"... I'm afraid I can't afford to spend my life stressing about such things. The stress to a lupus patient is most likely more dangerous than the flu itself.

Although many docs recommend that lupus patients be vaccinated against normal flu and I'm sure will recommend a H1N1 vaccine if/when it comes out, I don't think that we're at any more risk than from many more "mundane" things. For some of us our chances of catching it may even be lower as we "mix" less.

As far as we can now see in the media, the flu is spreading but not at all on the scale they first imagined. Tamiflu is available quite readily in most countries and that remains an option if we do think we have come down with this.

Katharine

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
Hello Wane :)

I have been puzzling how to put this graciously but have given up !:lol:

If, and it's a big if, this becomes a pandemic I don't see how I can do more to avoid it than I do already, or to minimise its effects on me, than I do for the usual sorts of flu or any other health risks come to that, such as food poisoning.
At the moment, swine flu is the least of my worries.
Actually I don't consider myself immuno compromised. I only take 50 mgs Imuran a day and my general health is good. I am much more likely to drop dead of a heart attack than die of swine flu. Or get run over, or fall down the stairs.
I have wasted a lot of my life worrying about things that never happen or things I can really do nothing about or to prevent.

:)
Clare

Carpe Diem !

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
Swine flu, if and when it comes round hear, then i hope i am able take care of my self like if there was flu here, i take 150mg of cellcept 10mg steriods and lots more pills, but as for being botherd no, i worry more about my daughter being a nurse in a hospital, she would be one of the first i would give the injection to if there was one, the health workers, and the elderley frail

yes i have lupus and i have my problems but flu is not at the top of my list, im breathing and alive, worse things out there happeing, donmt worry

just take care like always Lin xxxxxxxxxxx

1 - 4 of 4 Posts