The Lupus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me if swollen glands is another symptom of Lupus.

I have had regular bouts of swollen glands especially behind my ears and in my groin area. I have always a had a lump behind my left ear (since childhood) and was told it was an enlarged gland by my doctor. At the moment it is swollen to the size of a large pea and incredibly painful and the gland on the right hand side is swollen and painful too.

I am having the usual headaches that I suffer from frequently, but just wondered if this was another indication.

I am seeing the dermatologists at the end of the month and obviously I will mention this to him when I see him.

Star

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Lymph glands aka lymph nodes are really a part of your lymphatic system which is one of your bodies barriers to infection which in turn is a part of the immune response. Normally when they, the node/gland become swllen, it is because of infection be it minor or unfortunately major.

I guess my question for you is do you have allergies be it pets, molds, etc? That could explain alot. Regardless, it is very important to have it checked out, so it is very good that you are seeing the dermy. Just remember too keep the appointment. Be sure to make notes of any questions you have and never leave any stone left unturned.

Nancy

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello

Thank you for your reply to my post.

I realise that there is something going on, infection or something like. But I do not have any pet or pollen allergies. I am allergic to Ibuprofen and honey and obviously I avoid them. I don’t have a sore throat. Just feeling really poorly and headachy. I feel like it a lot of the time. My rash had almost disappeared for about four days and now it has returned with a vengeance, so I guess that has something to do with it.

I am compiling a list of questions and symptoms for the Dermatologist, in the hopes that I will have a productive appointment.

·
Registered
6,152 Posts
Hi Star

It is quite common to get swollen lymph nodes (often mistakenly referred to as glands) alongside Lupus, especially when flaring. I think the figures are that about 50% of people with Lupus have this as a symptom. I know I do and many others here on the board have mentioned it before.

Here are a few links to some previous discussions which you might find useful

http://www.thelupussite.com/forum/showthread.php?t=64941&highlight=swollen+lymph+nodes

http://www.thelupussite.com/forum/showthread.php?t=66444&highlight=swollen+lymph+nodes

Its definitely important to keep note of these symptoms and mention them to your dermy at your appointment.Im not sure if you have had any blood tests yet but this could be a good time to go to your GP who can check for any signs of infection but could also run an ANA test. (Forgive me if you have already had this done)

I hope it eases off soon for you. Swollen nodes are very painful:hugbetter:

Luv n stuff
Joan:rose:

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
I got swollen lymph nodes once - my rheumy told me it was normal for mixed connective tissue disease or/and Lupus and about 2 days later they went away. So far (about 2 years) I haven't had them again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts