The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there...
I have been having some really odd symptoms over the last few years and have just had a positive ANA with speckles... My GP didn't seem too concerned over the phone & told me that my other blood tests were ok. I am going to see him next week for further investigation.
I am 42 years old, am allergic to penicillin, have IBS and a hyatus hernia... Over the last few years I have experienced the following...
Tinitus
Extremely painful wrist & shoulder
Numbness and tingling down my left leg several times per day
Feeling tired most of the time
Daydreaming
Crushing chest pain, which has been checked out... no heart probs
Occasional itching all over my body for several days at a time

Has anyone else experienced all these symptoms & do they sound like typical Lupus symptoms... I feel like a hypochondriac!

Troski

·
Registered
594 Posts
Hi Troski,
no i don't think you are a hypocondriac!:)
I had a low level positive speckled ANA in dec and told i was to have it repeated in 6 mths time. I had it because i was feeling very run down and had pain in my hips shoulder and elbow.
I am also type 1 diabetic and have underactive thyroid and have a whole host of other symtoms that i won't list as it will take too long!!
Well since then i have been really ill and in am currently waiting to have the ANA repeated. Have been so poorly this week that my gp has tried to get me an emergency appointment with rheumatologist and i'm waiting on that today??
I think that you don't experience symtoms like that if there is nothing wrong its just that those types of symptoms can be caused by several different illness'.
Have you had your thyroid checked aswell?
Thyroid problems can make you feel very unwell and can also contibute to a speckled ANA.
I hope everything goes o.k for you!
Just try not to worry and think the worst, just try to inform yourself with possible causes fo your symtoms starting with most common and then try and approach your gp with your concerns and questions.
In my experience i think that sometimes doctors don't connect all symptoms as having one cause, it can be easy for them to put each individual symptom down to something minor when actually all the symtoms together could suggest something a bit more serious.
Hope this helps.
Good Luck
Cassiex:)

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
Welcome to the forum ! :)

I am positive you aren't a hypochondriac because they never imagine that they are. It's usually impossible to say that any list of symptoms sounds like lupus, because lupus can present in so many ways.

There are numerous reasons for a low level ANA including thyroid problems, which has a number of symptoms rather like some lupus ones. It's said that 95% of those with positive ANA do not have lupus, although 95% of those with lupus do have a positive ANA. The higher the titre the more likely it is to be associated with lupus or similar connective tissue disease. So don't jump to the conclusion that you have lupus and it's best not to mention that possibility unless there's some very good reason for thinking it might be such as lupus in the family or a doctor has already mentioned it to you.

Diagnosis is by examination and current and past history with lab & other tests to back it up or rule it out, or show hidden signs such as kidney disease.

It's worth looking at the criteria lists stuck at the top of Not Yet Diagnosed section to see what you can relate to.
The main point of diagnosis is to get the right disease modifying treatment.
There are very similar connective tissue disease conditions that might not be diagnosed as SLE because there are no lupus specific criteria present.
A diagnosis of SLE is very weighty because of the insurance problems it inevitably causes.
Please let us know how you get on.

Bye for now

Clare

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Cassie... I haven't had my thyroid checked out... Have just been having many odd symptoms over the last few years, which resulted in me having some x-rays and blood tests. The x-rays were fine & bloods were also fine apart from this positive ANA. The most alarming symptom is my left leg going numb for a few seconds, followed by pins & needles... This happens several times every day. I am going back to see my GP next thursday & hopefully he will have some ideas what's going on.
Thanks again for your reply...
Troski x

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Clare...
Thanks for your advice... As I mentioned earlier, I am off to the GP (no doubt more tests await me) on Thursday. When I had my blood results I immediately looked it up on Google & every site linked to some information about Lupus... There is definitely something odd going on & I feel like I am falling apart :)
Will definitely keep you posted...

Troski x

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Troski, You may already know this but please don't read old info. on Lupus, there have been a lot of improvements in treatment over the last few years and some web sites are still very, very gloomy about it.
x Lola

PS I would love a pound for every person here who has been made to feel they are a Hypochondriac!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks LolaLola...
Your comments are both reassuring and thoughtful... I appreciate your advice because I have read some horror stories!

xx

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Follow up

Hi peeps...

Thank you for your support.

I went back to GP today & he said he's not concerned about the positive ANA results... Completely brushed em off. He said that he thinks I have a disorder (can't remember medical term) that causes swelling in my joints. I asked about the numbness in my leg, tinitus, fatigue etc. and he said that it's all the same thing... As a result I am now getting my wrist x-rayed and having an injection in my shoulder tomorrow & awaiting an appointment with a consultant of some kind. Thus, I am still not entirely sure what is going on??

Thanks again for your support guys!

Troski x :rolleyes:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts