The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've heard that if you have an auto immune disease like Lupus you should'nt have a tattoo removed...can anyone tell me why this is as i have a small tattoo on my wrist that was done very badly and i would like it removed.

Although i have been diagnosed with Lupus i only have a handful of light symptoms.

Can nyone help me??

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
I have never heard of not having tattoos removed except that there is a school of thought that people with lupus shouldn't have any invasive procedures that aren't absolutely necessary, including getting tattoos in the first place, or piercings and so on, let alone the major cosmetic surgeries.

I think this is a special concern when the skin is affected by lupus ( or psoriasis) because there is always a risk of the procedure causing new lesions.

Another possible concern is the increased risk of infection, especially in those who are prone to infections in general or have a history of skin type infections or are immunosuppressed or immunocompromised. It is very individual, and up to the individual and her doctor to work out the risk/benefit of the situation.

:)
Clare

·
Registered
19 Posts
Im not sure if having a tattoo removal will effect Lupus or not, but have you thought about having it drawn over? ive seen some lovely cover tatts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Hi,

When I was in my early 20's, I thought it would be fun to have a cute little tattoo of Simba from the lion King on my hip. It never healed properly, my body rejected some of the dye.

I truly believe that is what really triggered my lupus, because I was soon diagnosed with all kinds of weird ailments and feeling unwell, but no one knew it was lupus until 10 years later.

I remember seing that invasive procedures where something is placed in your body such as a dye, can certainly trigger lupus symptoms.

Not to mention...I am now 37 and going through my 2nd pregnancy...Simba now looks like an old, lazy, aging lion who is no longer sitting cutely on my hip but rather stretched out a bit on my tummy!!! LOL

I have often thought of having it removed, but am hesitant.

Take care,
Sharon

·
Registered
184 Posts
Hey there I have a tattoo and I think it triggered something too! I have heard that tattoo removal is extremely painful and its done I think by lasers. Maybe ask your doctor about reccomendations and options, they should have a clear idea of your symptoms and suggest what is the best course of action, maybe get a really big cuff like bracelet to cover it up so that you won't see it!! Good luck!! :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts