The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody :) About tattoos? Anybody have them? Anybody have a problem getting them done? Im thinking of getting one done, I just wnted to know others experiences first, thanks!! :p :p :p :p

·
Registered
47 Posts
Love my Tattoos

I have 8 tattoos:hehe: , one of witch is a large back peace. I have has some odd things happen. rarely the ink gets a little puffy and itchy. Mostly I get itchy bumps around some of them. I decided not to stop getting them done because Lupus had taken enough from me, I am not letting it have my body art too! I love my tattoos. They are a big part of who I am. Just take good care of it. Make sure they use only new needles, this is important, WATCH them open the new needle. The last thing you need is hepatitis:mad: . I think for me the Tattoos are a way for me to take control of my body, they empower me. Good luck and good ink! :rotfl:

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
oh sweet :) thanks so much, i thought i heard once that tattoos and lupus dont mix well. Thanks again :hehe: :hehe: :hehe: :hehe:

·
Registered
154 Posts
Hi. I had my tatoos done about 7 years ago by a lady who had previously been a registered nurse. Everything was sterilised before each session including the counter top! She also recommended a choc or some coke to sip on... to avoid passing out.:eek: Find gentle exfoliating and a mild herbal antiseptic cream from time to time helps after it heals. Everybody reacts differently to the ink though so it's a chance you take. What are you thinking of getting?

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
One of the top docs at St Thomas' says there's no reason in general why people with lupus shouldn't have tattoos provided all hygiene precautions are followed.
On the other hand my dermatologist advised against in general for people with skin lupus and specifically for me to have my hair coloured. I suppose he was not going to take any risks of making the skin lupus worse or being held responsible for mishaps.
If you think you are prone to infection anyway or very slow healing it might not be a good idea. You take the risk for yourself as nobody can predict what any individual reaction might be.

:)
Clare

·
Registered
391 Posts
Hello!

I had a tattoo done before my symptoms really began in earnest, and a second after. I've never had a moment's problem with the first tattoo, but my body has never seemed to "like" the second tattoo. I often get itchy bumps around it, and have occasionally gotten small areas of swelling on it. Nothing serious, just a bit annoying.

I wanted bright colors in the second tattoo, and the artist used ink normally used to cover up previous tattoos. He thinks that is why I've had a bit of a problem with it.

I don't regret either of my tattoos, as both have a personal meaning to me.

Good luck!

Terri

·
Registered
123 Posts
Wow you guys are great! I am booked to have my first ever Tattoo on friday. Bit nervous about the pain but it is something I have wanted for ages and I can cope with all sorts being done at hospital so I recon I can cope :wacko:

At the weekend I suddenly thought that this rubbish Lupie body of mine might get upset by that, like it seems to get upset with everything I like to do with it.

Thanks for putting this thread on here as it has put my mind at a bit of ease that there shouldn't be anything too nasty outside of Lupus being a pain just like it is over everything else.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah thanks again everybody for sharing your experiences its good to know that nobody had any problems with there tatt’s. What are you getting done KitKat? Taree im thinking of getting something to do with scorpio, because my sister and I are both scorpions and we want to get matching ones; but I haven’t found one specific one yet. If you have any suggestions send them my way 8)

·
Registered
154 Posts
Hi Chantal... good idea to get scorpions, you'll always be a scorpio so there's not much chance of regret later. I was so lucky to meet Margi and we worked on my tummy design for about 3years! I thought: If I'm going to permanantly ink my body I want to be 100% certain that in 50yrs time I can still look at it as part of who I am. -even between the wrinkles!- A really good tatoo artist should give you a variety of sample options to choose from. So cool that you're going with your sis, if I were you I'd volunteer to go first!

Hi Kitkat... where are you having your tat done? I have dragons on my tummy, the outline was pretty hectic but the colouring in wasn't too bad. The lettering on my spine on the otherhand ... had a few involuntary spasms, can't really say it was sore just weird. Find the sound is more bothersome than anything else... you could try headfones to block it out. Also you can ask them to stop at any point and give you a moment before they carry on. Good luck for tomorrow, I'm so excited for you. What design have you settle on?

Hi Terri...have you tried dilluted teatree oil? What tats do you have? Am especially curious about the colourful one! Always nice to chat to people who put some thought into something so permanent... regret is such a wasted emotion!

·
Registered
123 Posts
Hi all,

I'm getting a gorgeous little fish on the outside of my left ankle. My weight goes up and down like a yo yo so wanted to avoid skin that streched and shurnk too much and I wanted to be able to see it so didn't want a shoulder or anything like that so I reconed that my ankle was a pretty good bet :)

I am so glad I didn't decide to have anything done on the spine. Those spasms sound horrible! Had a friend who has had one on the top of her foot. Couldn't do that either after having to have bloods taken from there. It totally puts you off!

It is kind of a turqouise, clear and black colour. Quite a simple design (a bit like me on all these drugs!) I was gonna go with a black celtic style design but when I saw this I just fell in love!

Chantal, have you got the design sorted? Where are you gonna have it? How big?

K

·
Registered
154 Posts
That sounds pretty cool, love the colour scheme! a friend of mine had hers done in the same place and said it wasn't bad at all pain wise. Have always wanted one on the side of my foot... still thinking it over. As for the spasms, I'll endure it once more for an added symbol when I'm feeling semi-human again!

·
Registered
391 Posts
Hi Taree!

Since you asked about my tattoos, here are the two designs, both by Terri Fox.

Attachments

·
Registered
184 Posts
I got my first tattoo in Oct last yr, I always wanted one on my ankle and my husband always said no, he surprised me one day by taking me to get one, I have a cross with like thorns around it on my ankle I love it, my husband and I watched them take out brand new needles and instead of the black ink my husband ask them to outline the tattoo and color in the rest with shading (like a gray color) our thoughts was to lesson the ink on the skin to cause less problems healing and etc. it turned out great:) If I was feeling better I would get a little purple butterfly similar to this sites logo on my wrists, maybe when I get better. Good luck and just take good care of it, don't wrap it up in saran wrap though they say that the skin needs to breathe to heal right!! Let us know how it turns out!! :)

·
Registered
368 Posts
:dancing:Go for it! I got a tatoo after 6yrs of being diagnosed with SLE. It's a whale's tail, in the ocean, under a sunset. Had it done in Hawaii. (On my left inner ankle). Everytime I look at it, brings back fond memories! Cathy :)

·
Registered
154 Posts
Wifa...they are beautiful!!!!!!! Have you needed a colour touch up since? Will be having my babies(dragons) touched up when I have my back finished. I'm a bit of a plain jane so its really only green for the body with a little yellow on the underside, wings and the side of the heads and black outlining.

Cispence...how cool of hubby! He obviously did a bit of research on tatoos to make that request. Hope you feel better soon so you can hv your next one done!

Lesdanger... It's almost like there's a story that links them together, as if it will always be a work in progress... or is it my imagination? From what I can make out the simplicity of the strokes is what really grabs the eye!

Sunflowergirl2...You must get alot of comments, even better since there's a cool story behind it!

·
Registered
123 Posts
I had it done on Friday night! It's gorgeous. :rotfl:
Was sore on the bone but not too bad. Even better than that I actually had the guts to tell my mother last night. I maybe in my late 20's but I was terrified that she would be mad. She was cool! More worried that I might have had my tongue pierced or was pregnant. So just being tattoo'd wasn't so bad!

It's lovely!
Thanks for the encouragement
K

·
Registered
468 Posts
I had a tribal heart done on my calf before I was diagnosed, but never got the chance to get it touched up because I broke my hip and was out of commision for two years, though it still looks good.:wink2: I would like to get another one, a buddhist saying or symbol, I am just not sure about any problems with it, I may ask my rheumatologist about it. I have yet to figure out where I would like to have it done on my body that is, I would like it on my forearm to cover some fading scars from self-injury but I am not so sure I want it that prominant. But it has been on my mind for some time.
Karly

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Kitkat, no im not to sure how big or on the design yet, neither my sis or I are very artistically talented, lol. Shes actually moving towards getting scorpion written in some other language, instead of the scorpion it self, but yeah its hard to agree. :p
Terri~ wow, so beautiful! I love your tats!!! Lesdanger, its kinda hard to see yours, but from what I can see, I love!!!
xoxoxoxo

1 - 20 of 21 Posts