TheLupusSite.com banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have to go today and have some teeth out! My teeth are crumbling like no bodies business... anyone else out there or am I just unlucky?:worried:

·
Registered
4,369 Posts
Good luck at the dentist!

I had teeth that crumbled '3 molars' which the dentist managed to save and fill instead of removing. They crumbled/broke during my last pregnancy (5th), before that time my teeth stayed strong. My dentist said that pregnancies can cause problems with tooth decay - so that's what I put mine down to!

I do suffer with acid reflux which has also taken its toll on a couple of my teeth.

Take care!

Lesley

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Hi adada and welcome :welcome:

Have you been on Prednisone for an extended period of time?

Failing that I am wondering if you have Sjogren's Syndrome, many of us do and it can play havoc with the teeth because of dry mouth syndrome.

love
Lily

·
Registered
149 Posts
My teeth got to the really crumbly point because of too many years of undiagnosed coeliac disease causing demineralisation, and dental enamel defects. Unfortunately I ended up with dentures before I found a dentist who actually recognised it as a coeliac malabsorption problem and before I was diagnosed. I'm not sure if other autoimmune conditions also contribute to dental problems or not, but coeliac definitely does because of the malabsorption problems associated with undiagnosed coeliac.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Hi,

My teeth didn't crumble, but I have had a couple of root canals and all my molars are crowned. I didn't get diagnosed with lupus/soghrens until after the damage was already done..

Best Wishes,
Sandy

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Hi Adada

I have been having the same problem as you for well over a year now, last year i had to have 4 teeth removed and i lost count on how many i have had repaired.

Now since about november time i have started having problems again, i have got 3 broken teeth and about 5 that have started to crumble.

Last year i asked my dentist what could be causing all these probs and he said that it was probably down to all the medication i was on. Then in December i got some results (that had been sat on someones desk for about 13 months) which showed i have a very low vitamin D level and a low calcium level.

So i guess these probs along with the meds have caused my teeth to break/crumble. I have just got an appointment thru to go to see an oral surgeon at the hospital as i am considering having them all removed but my own dentist will only remove one at a time as i am on warfarin plus he said he wanted to try and save my teeth but as far as i am concerned now the damage is already done and this is going to continue until i have them all removed, i have alot of tooth ache plus they look awful.

I hope you get an answer as to why your teeth are crumbling and i hope you manage to get them sorted.

Good luck :luck: Jo

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
teeth

thanks for that...youv'e described exactly what has been happening to me, my teeth look awful,just recovering from a dental absess that was so large it took up one side of my face and bent my nose out of shape! I looked like a failed boxer (the sportsman,not the dog,though thats debatable)Anyway my dentist took a cast of my teeth and next week shes going to pull them all out and fix me with a denture...hooray no more toothache...Never thought I'd hear me say it but i'm delighted.and having your teeth pulled is an instant diet plan! I need to loose weight . I'll post a message next week after the deed is done and see if i'm feeling so up beat then.:wink2:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My Gp sent me to a rheumy because he suspected sjogrens,but rheumy diagnosed temporal arteritis. I'm on prednisolone down to 30mg daily .Definately got dry mouth,sores in my nose,ulcer in my mouth,headache fatigue,muscle aches etc .If I haven't got sjogrens I'll eat my hat!.mind you I'd have to liquidise if first because of my teeth! HO HUM PIGGIES BUM.

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Hi Adada,

:hugbetter: on the tooth abcess, I've just recently been through that problem myself *ouch* I ended up having a root canal filling and am hoping it holds out.

Anyway my dentist took a cast of my teeth and next week shes going to pull them all out and fix me with a denture
Is she only taking out the offending teeth or all of them?

I wonder how many here with Sjogrens have dentures? It would be interesting to find out how they get along. I do remember reading and also my dentist and doc both saying try and hang onto your teeth - reason being is that you need a good flow of saliva to hold dentures in and we don't have a good flow.

Maybe something to discuss with someone else, get a second opinion before you have them pulled?

love
Lily

·
Registered
154 Posts
Hi
Just thought i would add, what happened to me. At 15years old all my teeth crumbuled away and i lost them all,:sad: no one could find out why? So i have been wearing dentures for some 30years !! i only found out last year i had lupus, years of ****!!!!:eek:
regards
june

·
Registered
498 Posts
It makes me wonder about my mother.She lost all her teeth in her twenties.
I was feeling quite lucky with my teeth until today.I was enjoying a lovely fresh baguette and then bit something hard.You know when you get that,'oh,that's not good feeling!'?Realised that my molar had snapped in half,not happy:( .Rest of sarnie in the bin!Always happens at the weekend when the dentists are closed,doesn't it?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
great outcome

Well here I am back in the land of the living.. thank you all for your responses and good wishes. My dentist ended up taking out only two teeth(they were effectivly dead) These are at the front so had denture fitted immediatly and its fine. In fact I had the extractions on Tuesday and was in a restaurant on friday eating crispy potato skins with garlic sauce!very nice it was too. On the down side I only have 10 teeth left and they are all on the decline but dentist now seeing me at 3monthly intervals so I'm reassured that any problem will be spotted early. And all this for free and on the N.H.S! God bless it. so happy outcome all round. :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts