The Lupus Forum banner

Terrible sweats, any tips?

353 views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  debatat 
#1 ·
Hi all, I have an embarrassing problem. My night sweats are now all day as well. I will just suddenly sweat and my hair is wringing wet. It look such a mess, and is so unpleasant. Has anyone got any tips as it is hard to go out with this problem. I have a raised temp and have done for months, I have no infection and I don't think it is the meds as it started before them. I expect the meds don't help. I think its just that the lupus is active. I would be so grateful for any tips? Sorry to share my gross problem !:eek:

Thanks

Deb

#2 ·
Hi Deb,

I'm not sure how much I can help with your problem but there's no need to be embarrassed, a lot of us have problems with excess perspiration but many don't dare ask for help. I didn't for years and then eventually said it to my GP and wished I had done so much earlier. It is extremely annoying and makes it very hard to even buy clothes that suit. I'm OK with NO sleeves but that's not great as I'm very photosensitive :rolleyes:

The problem is, if you "only" sweat on your head, it's very hard to know what you can do about it. My excess sweating (which has been there ever since my hashimotos dx - it can be linked to thyroid problems) is under arms (I promise you all I don't stink, I'm just soaked :lol:) and my back. I now have a special anti-perspirant (rather than deodorant) from the chemists which works excellently so long as you follow the instructions properly (for example it can sting if not applied properly). I can now wear whatever I like :)

I found the info here quite useful - maybe it can help you too
http://www.hyperhidrosisuk.org/aluminium.htm

Katharine

#3 ·
Deb

Mine are mostly at night. I go to bed with 2 fans on and the ac as low as hubby can stand it. And with the lightest pj's or less:rotfl:. I freeze my husband out. But during the day at work I freeze. Go figure. I think our regulators are broke. Maybe we need a tune up or new transmission. So long as it comes with a skinny body.:lol:

My doc has just chalked it up to menopause at 44. Hope you are all dry today.

Stacy

#4 ·
Thanks Katherine, I will ask doc about that. I don't smell, I am just soaking wet, it is so uncomfortable and not very sociable!!!! :lol:

I will be glad when this flare ends, it is getting very tiresome!

Thanks Deb x

#5 ·
Hi Deb

I just wanted to say you are not alone..I have to sleep with the windows open & I annoy my family with all the windows and patio doors open no matter what the weather :hehe:

as I'm 38 maybe it's an early menopause thing as stacy said or just another lupie thing :rolleyes:
I know I will definitely be trying that anti perspirant Katharine suggested :) thanks katharine!

good luck deb I hope it settles for you when the lupus is under control.
hugs, karen xx

#6 ·
No your not alone, and i dont think with me its my age either, infact i know its not

And its all in my head anytime day or night, no where else, starts in middle of head workes out then down to neck....im sure its the4 meds, as i never had it before half of these lot i take, and some say head sweats on them,

So bet thats why my hair curls to as it gets hot:sad:So its not jusat the immunosupressents grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr its others too ,thats just what i think anyway. AND im sorruy i just stick the fan on when it gets bad, just dont know what elase to say, try having more cold drinks than hot when its bad

if you find a cure share it wont u please :hehe:

Lin xxxxxxxxxxxx

#7 ·
Lin, I wonder if we are on any of the same meds? I haven't noticed it says head sweats on any of them. Mind you I am on so many now!!!! :lol: Me, who hates taking meds!! :eek: I will definitely let you know if I find a solution. I must say though, I have taken my full does of pred today and yesterday ( I was sneakily trying to cut down, but it isn't working) and not only I do feel better and am in less pain but I have had only 1 sweat today. So maybe the pred will cure it. Will let you know!

Deb x

#8 ·
I have the same problem. It starts on my head and moves down my neck and back and underarms. My hair and clothing ends up drenched. I am way past the menopause and the sweats I had then were quite different.

I get fed up with it and would love to be able to stop it from happening. I am always changing my clothes. I'm not able to work so at least I don't have to worry about that.

If anyone has any more ideas I would love to know.

#9 ·
Deb the pred makes no difference for me ,but good luck if it does for you :wink2: my bP med im sure says head sweats, but i will go through them all again tomorrow now you have fetched it up. i take 10 morning 7night
will get back to you when ivew read them all, will pm you if i find it :p

night Lin xx

#10 ·
Hi Deb

I have the same problem. I really feel for you. I can't stop the sweats, but I have learned some tips for coping better with them.

I use menhtolated talcum powder, and baby powder with corn starch to help feel dryer. I apply it after I shower to areas where I drip with sweat.

I try and stay indoors as much as possbile too. I stay drink plenty of water, and it makes me feel cooler..I wear cotton clothes.

I got my hair cut short, and it really helps me this summer. I wish, I would have cut it sooner...:lol:

I hope you feel dryer soon Deb.

Love,
Sandy

#11 ·
Hi Deb :wavey:

I can totally sympathise with you, i too share the same problem as you. My head, face, neck and back are constantly wet thru. The only way i can stay dry is by sitting infront of the ac unit or a fan.

I dread having to get showered as when i get out i have to just sit in my towel for ages other wise i just don't stop sweating and as for having to dry my hair GRRRRRRRR what a nightmare, i get so hot that my head and neck sweats so much my hair never dries. When i am getting ready to go out i have to plan it so that i can have at least half an hour sat in front of the fan, then as soon as we get in the car the ac is on.

I am also very embarrassed by this problem, i hate getting too close to people, whenever me and my parents see each other my dad always gives me a kiss and then i can see him rubbing his face to remove the sweat.

I don't think people really understand how hard it is to live with this problem until you suffer with it. It really does control my life, i have to say that i have never really spoken out to anyone about it about from my husband and close family.

Someone else mentioned about out temperature control been faulty and i have said that to my husband for a long time, i am either red hot and sweating or i am shivering with goose bumps, i don't seem to have a happy medium.

I have spoken to my doc about it and she says that it could be lupus or it could be the meds but there is nothing that can be done about it, so i guess we will just have to live with this very embarrassing and controling problem.

(sorry for the long reply but as i said i haven't spoken much about it and i just couldn't stop myself typing once i started) :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Take care :hug: Jo :hug:

#12 ·
I sweat something terrible too. My hair is wet, sweat runs down the middle of my back my face & neck get a lovely color of bright red.

I have found a deodorant that helps. It is clinical strength secret. You can find it in wal marts, targets etc. It keeps me from smelling rotten. I also put some on where my bra band goes.That way my bra isn't so wet.

Here is to drier days for us all.
Love,
Lyn

#13 ·
Lyn,

I use Clinical Strength Secret also! :lol: It really helps me..
It costs more, but works so much better, it is worth the extra cost.

It comes in many scents..too. Yesterday, I bought the waterproof version, to see if it works even better..
Try it you will like it..promise!

Sandy

#15 ·
I know this is of no use to you (because I live in an obscure EU country :lol:) all but the antiperspirant that I get also exists in "wipes" that my GP said are very useful as they can be used for other areas. It might be worth looking into what brands exist in other formats.

Katharine

#17 ·
Thanks everyone for your replies, I am glad I am not alone. I do think it is to do with faulty temperature control as I have problems with the cold as well. I am always colder or hotter than everyone else. I seem to overheat and freeze!!!

Thanks for the tips, I shall try them. Looking forward to cooler days!!

Deb x

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.