TheLupusSite.com banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:smirk: and the answer is ..... I don't know, because they both quack! :huh:

I have recently moved from Denver, Colorado to Philadelphia due to my husbands job promotion. The move has been a real adventure, and the dust is still settling. One of the largests hurdles I have encountered is finding and getting in to see all my new doctors.

I currently see : a GP, Ob/Gyn, Rheumy, Nuerologist, Opthomologist, Neuro-Opthomoligist, Heamotologist, Orthopeadic Surgeon, Psychiatrist and Psychologist. It has been no small feat to get everyone on board and establish care, but by and large it has been an easy if time consuming pursuit.

That is until I tried to find a new Psychiatrist ..... :wall:

Being the control freak that I am, I had my doctor in Denver prescribe 90 days worth of my psych meds prior to the move, thought being that it would take a little time to transfer care over to someone new. That was the end of November.

Because I have lots of nuero/psych manifestations of my lupus, and due to the extensive medical treatment I am under, I use a Pyschiatrist for medical managment of my psychiatric drugs. I see a Psychologist for talk therapy. There is no way I could accomplish both in an one hour appointment.

Mid December, I went to my appt. with Psychologist #1, armed with records and self assurance. She was a licensed MD, and the insurance company listed her as a provider. When we spoke on the phone, we went over my insurance coverage and my needs. I think I spoke to someone else, because she sure didn't recall the conversation. :grrr:

As the appt. came to it's conclusion, she anounced that a) she would not see me for medical management only, and wanted me to enter into therapy with her and b) that she was out of network with my insurance, and presented me with a bill for 175.00 which I could submitt for reimbursement!!!!
Mimmish, mimmish, dirty words, dirty words .....
:tantrum:

Ok, so I call the insurance company again, get another list of doctors they assure me will take their coverage as payment. I make an appt. with doctor number two. Things happen, and would just chalk the first one up to bad luck and miscommunication.

Doctor number two should have his medical license pulled. He too advised that he would not medically manage me, but would only write a prescription if I was to enter into therapy with him. The real kicker was a) he wanted to get me up on a massage table so he could do some "energy work", and b) wanted my birthdate so that he could pull up my astrological chart !!!!! What a nut case - yikes! :hissy:

Yes, I did call the insurance company AGAIN. They are going to do a review on doctor #2, pulled doctor #1 from the provider list, and gave me another handfull of names of doctors to call.

After multiple phone calls, I explained to the insurance company that it was their job to find me a doctor, and that it was now a medical emergency as I have only four days worth of meds left.

I have an appointment with doctor #3 on Monday ..... will he be a duck or a doc?

Quack, quack, quack, quack ...... :p

·
Yard Sale Diva
186 Posts
Do you live near Bucks County... Sellersville, Pa? I see Dr. Diana Koziupa at Penn Foundation for my meds. She is very kind and concerned, and will be able to link you to psychologists. I have Personal Choice through Independence Bc/Bs, They use magellen for mental health. Just a thought.

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
Hello there,

I'm so sorry you're having to go through such idiocy... I was going to say that the only pretty sure difference was that most docs don't waddle, but even that might be questionable in some cases!

I really hope this gets sorted soon. One thing those docs certainly didn't reckon on was meeting up with you, they'll rue the day they got that one wrong and I say GOOD FOR YOU!!!

Katharine

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
With your talent for finding ducks perhaps you should consider buying a shotgun and going duck hunting this fall.:)
I wish you all the good luck in the world in finding less ridiculous medicos.
Douglas+

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, just call me Elmer Fudd. Here ducky ducky :hehe:

·
Registered
5,267 Posts
You are so right and gave me quite the chuckle.

·
The Other Illinois Tammy
1,193 Posts
Tracy,
You poor thing this is turning into more than a hunt, it is a hide and seek for you. It might be to your advantage to have the list and make the calls yourself as you can do like an interview over the phone as to what you are looking for instead of a here you go type thing with the insurance company. I would also try googleing the doctors make and see what you can find that is what i did with the rhuemy I have now. I hope you do find someone soon. You can ask your gp for a script to give you another 30 days to get things going a little better at least my gp will do that for me. I am at a lose for info on doctors were you are now. One would think that treatment would be easy to get as there are so many doctors out there but like you have already pointed out not all ( in fact most I am not sure how they still have a lis. to practice medicine) doctors are good ones.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
it was a doc ..

:) can you beleive the insurance company, yes, let me repeat, the insurance company, found me a psychiatrist that is also an internist, and understood all my lupus meds and lupus psych ramifications!

Even he was bowled over by my "energy channeling chart reading" visit with the last psych. :calm:

What a relief to get that ordeal over with! I have had such terrible experiences with insurance companies in the past. What a wonderfull change of pace to have a good outcome. :bigsmile:

·
Registered
313 Posts
I am glad I am not the only one that has ran into quacks lately...

I was sent to a new neurosurgeon to seek help with headaches that
have plagued me since brain surgery... he took my history and I told
him about the surgery and that any sudden move like a sneeze jumping ,coughing or bending over could bring on a headache that
could send me to ER... told him all specifics ....the side of head , size
and location of tumor ...type of surgical approach ...that closure was
done with muscle tissue not bone flap or titanium ... etc etc ...

he gets up to do his exam of me ...he is looking in my eyes ears and nose ...poking under eye sockets and tapping across forehead..then he
goes behind me and is feeling my head all over... he says and I quote
" I think I have found something . You have a defect in your skull behind
your right ear. " :eek: I almost fell over...

I have a sunken in place about 3 inches across where there is no bone ...muscle was stretched across ...it is firm and no bother ...
I told him about the trans lab surgery to get to the AN tumor ... he is
suppose to be a neurosurgeon with special training in my condition and
he forgot in the space of a few minutes that I told him about my surgery :eek:

·
Administrator
10,165 Posts
Hi Tracey,

Three cheers for the insurance company! When my company changed insurance I tried getting a rheumy and they were all booked. It was my insurance that managed to get me the wonderful doctor I now have.

Good luck with your new doctor.

Take care,
Lazylegs

1 - 11 of 11 Posts