TheLupusSite.com banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just discovered the miracle of SHEA BUTTER!!! And it's so amazing I felt compelled to share! :p

I have suffered like most of us from years of itchy dry skin, or weird rashes popping up out of the blue, and the works.... not only with Lupus, but I have Sjourn's, and no thyroid! :lol: My skin's been terribly dry, and my hair been so brittle that even brushing it will break it! (And having lost most of my hair before... I really treasure my crowning glory!)

But anyways, a little goes a long way, and 100% organic raw shea butter has so many uses! Since it's all natural and no chemicals or preservatives, you can use it without fear of an allergic reaction. Plus it's multi-purposes is great for not only skin, but hair, scalp, face, and lip balm.

My last lupus flare up left me a lot of scars, so hopefully, it's supposed to diminsih those as well... only time can tell with that though!

But yeah, if you google it, you can find tons of great things about it!

Anyone else uses shea butter? And what other uses have you found for it?

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
Hi
I am glad you have found a helpful product ! :) A good cream is so soothing.
I used to use shea butter but recently discovered aqueous cream BP which is about one fifth of the price. I don't know what the US or international equivalents are but the constituents are white soft paraffin, cetostearyl alcohol, liquid paraffin sodium lauryl sulfate, purified water.
The BP stands for British Pharmacopeia or something, meaning it is a basic recipe, a no frills generic type of thing so they are always good value.

I also don't know how it really compares with the shea because I didn't do a comparison test. I like cocoa butter too.

How do you use the shea butter in your hair ?

:)

Clare

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the shea butter makes my hair kinda gross.... like i havent showered in weeks! lol but at night time, i soften the shea butter in my hands and then just rub it into my scalp and work it through my hair...

it makes my hair super greasy looking...but i'm about to go to bed, and hopefully no one is gonna see me! lol

then in the morning i just wash it out, and it does give my hair back some of it's elasticity i've lost!

·
elisabethm
512 Posts
skin care

Hi clare where do you get that aqueous cream i have got feally sore fingers right on the crease of my fingers never had this before do you need to get it from the doctor or can you buy it over the counter i have the doc on thursday if you get it on presciption i will ask him for it thank you elisabeth

·
Registered
432 Posts
hello, i get terribly dry/cracked/broken skin on my hands and i use one called emulsifying ointment bp from boots it was cheap and it comes in a massive tub...my hands look beautiful and childlike again now! xxx

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
Hello Elisabeth :)
I got the aqueous cream BP from Superdrug for £2.29, 500 grms. I would use nappy ointment if I had broken skin and would try some tea tree oil mixed in the cream or on its own for quick healing and antisepsis.

Cheers

Clare

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
I also use aqueous cream. Its great. I have used shea butter also...but the aqueous cream is cheaper.
Sheila x

·
Registered
46 Posts
i loooooooooove shea butter.....it is completely natural and super moisturising. i like to use it after my evening bath in the summer, skin feels so soft.

i have had to use aqueous for the past month or so bec. my skin became really itchy, but in the end it still wasnt helping so now i have been prescribed e45 which is doing the trick.......its a good thing i am entitled to free prescriptions because its not cheap to buy.

another good thing to use for skin conditions is 'african black soap'....completely natural and works like a dream. you can even use it to wash your hair.

take a look on sheabuttercottage.co uk or akuawood.co.uk for fair trade shea butter, soaps and other natural moisturisers. this is where i have purchased mine before.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts