The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
florie
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all I just wanted to share with you all. I have just started using the patch as of today to quit smoking. I hope i can have the strenght to seriously do this. It's not easy and I am trying to change routines while doing this.

How much success has anyone had with the patch that has tried to quit?

florie

·
Premium Member
11,410 Posts
Hi Florie,

I just wanted to wish you luck,in quitting smoking. :luck:

I cant help you on the patch question, as I have never smoked a day in my life.

Love,
Lyn

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
Hi Florie,

I am a smoker so I want to first Congratulate you on the attempt to quit. I am a firm believer that when WE want to quit and when WE are ready to quit....we will.

I tried many times to quit smoking with the patch, pills, fake cigs, etc...and nothing has worked but honestly I know that it is because I am not ready and I really don't want it deep down inside. I guess I enjoy it and am not ready to let it go as pathetic as that may sound.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I wish you all of the luck I can muster up and send your way that you will have the strength to get over the hump and well on your way to becoming smoke free. Are you a heavy smoker and how long have you smoked?

·
Registered
368 Posts
Hi Florie. Unfortunately, I'm also a smoker. The patch was OK, but Chantix (a prescription med. helps alot more.) I tried it and it decreased my desire to smoke, but I was not ready to quit. Ask your MD for a RX, I think it will help. Good luck! Cathy:)

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
Hi Florie

Good Luck in your efforts ! I stopped for about 4 months but fell off the wagon when a severe crisis cropped up and things weren't made easier by my husband smoking too. Apart from really wanting to stop I think one has to be in an upbeat self confident frame of mind with a certain sort of 'can do' energy. Unfortunately I am very rarely in that frame of mind these days and mostly feel what- the- heck about life. The main thing that motivates me is the cost and also my self respect. I hate saying that I smoke and it has such a social stigma these days. Somehow I need to get my mind stronger than my feeble will power and boost my self esteeem enough to be able to boost it further. I do think one has to be forgiving of oneself, like when you are on a diet, and not let oneself be put off the goal by the occasional slip

About the Champix, my dd had great success with that but my GP wouldn't prescribe it because it reduces the seizure threshold which is already reduced by the 2 anti malarials I am on. I pointed out that I had no history of seizures at all, but he was adamant, showing me the contraindication warning on the PC.

I used the chewing gum first but it had a serious loosening effect on my bridgework which cost me $600 to correct. The inhaler things seem to work best for me but only combined with habit breaking so I think it helps very much to carefully examine those times when when you do smoke and find a replacement activity as well as strengthening your will power for those times, such as after a meal.
We also have forbidden smoking in the living room and never have in bedrooms. I have been thinking about stopping again - I need the money to pay a psychiatrist :lol:

Good Luck!

Clare

·
Registered
149 Posts
Florie, congratulations on taking this huge step, I wish you all the luck with stopping smoking.

I tried patches, gum, sprays, pills, none worked long term, so I decided to go cold turkey in the end, it was very difficult, but I will be celebrating my 1st anniversary in September this year.

Like Clare, I asked about Champix, and my GP refused to prescribe it, saying I had too much else going on, as well as the meds I take, and that was that. I must say I joined a great non smoking site, which is tough, but advocates cold turkey method, and has some very stark reading material on board. PM if you wish to have the link anyone.

Clare is right, I had to completely change my routine, and as much as I dont want to be seen as a reformed smoker, I had to insist my husband did not smoke anywhere in the house, he is now has a smoking shed in the garden, not nice for him mid-winter, but that was the way it had to be.

I was ready to quit at that time, and what keeps me from going back, I never want to experience 72 hours cold turkey like that again, ever, and with my having APS even more important to never take another puff.

Again good luck.

·
Premium Member
7,567 Posts
Hi Florie, congrats on taking that first step to becoming a non smoker. I know people who have had great success with the patches. As pthers have said I do think it comes down to will power and your determaination to succeed. Hope you keep it up!

Deb

·
florie
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
oh thankyou all for your support and experiences.
I do believe what clare has said about being strong mined and all. And I am just what she mentioned,not that at all. things going on around me all the time that is stressful.
I too as others has said enjoy smoking. And change in routine is tough. I will give it my best,if i am not ready, then i will try again when i feel more confident in myself. Cause right now i am not a confident person. Little things add up on me and the stress level starts rising.
But i have to say, I have only smoked 6 cigarettes today,compared to a pack and a half. I have tried the chanix and had no good results. For some reason i took this upon myself to make a self improvement and the outrageous prices of cigarettes.

I guess the old saying is true, if first you don't suceed then try try again.
Florie

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
Hi Florie :)

I don't have any personal experience of using a patch as I have never smoked but my cleaning lady just quit using them and was very successful. I have to say she's pretty strong willed and was determined to quit as she had started having some heart trouble.

best of luck,
Katharine

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Hi Florie

I too have never smoked so I can only compare it with giving up chocolate! something which I'm sorry to say I have never achieved :rolleyes:

I just want to wish you luck and if it becomes a struggle I suggest seeing a CBT ( cognitive behaviour therapy ) therapist if that's possible. CBT is excellent for dealing with addictions, it helps break the thought pattern and gives you alternative coping strategies :)

just a thought florie :) take care & lots of luck
lvoe karen xx

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
Hi Florie,

Checking in to see how your making out??? I hope your doing well and not biting the finger nails down to the quick.:lol:

The chantix did not work for me either but then again I really feel it is because I just was not really ready to quit smoking.

Best of luck to you as you try to get over a very tough hurdle.

YOU CAN DO IT AND KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK.:wink2:

·
elisabethm
512 Posts
Hi Florie just wanted to say good luck i stopped for 11years.But started 3weeks ago i never though i would go back to it but the stress over the past couple of weeks has really got to me.But i will get back of them when i am ready i know i can do it.So Good Luck To You Keep Positive Elisabeth

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.