The Lupus Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

It is pouring rain as I type this. I live in Southern California, USA a nice mild climate that people always want. We have been heading into a drought so this rain is dearly needed. We are in for at least 5 days of rain as 3 storms are hitting the west coast of the United States and maybe Canada as well (didn't pay attn).

The down side. We had beautiful weather in the low 70's (Farenheit) for the last several days, it was a bit on the extra dry side. Starting Wednesday night the weather began to turn and by this afternoon it was pouring rain. My body doesn't like rapid weather changes and it has been complaining loudly since Wed night.

I have been doing so good lately and that makes the extra pain all the more depressing. My mind is still in a faster gear (10mph instead of 2 mph) :hehe: but my body has already had to slow back down.

I have decided, many years ago, that it is not the amount of the temperature change that matters but the rapid change in weather is what causes us pain.

Take care all,
Karen

·
Registered
150 Posts
whether the weather affects us

Hi Karen
thought I'd quickly reply to your weather post. Yes we had the same weather in north Queensland last week, inches of rain, well actually 600 or so mls. So as you can imagine the last 2 days I've been whippersnipping and electric lawnmowing. :wink2: Still got a bit to do, poor hands!! and can't work in sun at all, so more weeding, cutting back shrubs. Have to work out, to cut back garden work, but of course I have a small back yard, in retirement resort, but private with fences and front done by gardeners, but putting our own shrubs there.
I suppose I do like watching listening to the rain (memories of down south in Melbourne).:), but not driving in our monsoonal rains.
I always enjoy your posts, your words of wisdom, from much experience. Last year was my first understanding of lupus, but the symptoms there all my life. You talk about the breaking of droughts. ;) In much of aussie now, there have been much watersaving. Luckily here in mackay we have underground (artesian) water, but had water restrictions like most of aussie, but have eased in city for the last year. But in capital city (Brissie) state government are rebating some watersaving devices. my washing machine broke down a month ago so eldest daughter made 3 younger ones put in to buy a new one, (instead of Christmas and tomorrow's birthday)same brand, but frontloading, and I found I could get $200 back. Got the cheque back just before Christma. My neighbour's machine too?? her rebate not back yet.
Always interesting to hear how we are affected- don't like the cold- raynauds, sinus etc, and I don't use aircons. Idid enjoy your state in Dec 1993, took to eldest grandsons to Disneyland and around. The youngest was the only one in the pool?! But I did like your weather.
marymac

·
Registered
14 Posts
Karen,

While all this rain we are getting and are due to get over the next several days is miserable, your post actually gives me some hope. As I lay here at 2:30 in the morning hoping the pain meds will kick in soon, you made me realize that this pain quite possibly is due to the weather changes. I have been stressing thinking that I may have done more damage to my healing tendons. The timeline you mentioned sounds about right for when this pain started. I have always been told the weather would affect me, but until this year it never has so I didn't even consider that as the cause.

At least being off work, I don't have to be doing my usual 40 minute commute in this weather :bigsmile: .

Hope you start feeling better soon,

Nichole

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
hi karen

sorry to hear you are in pain :sad: ..I hope you ease & feel better very soon.

that's really interesting to learn that rapid weather change can cause flares,I wasn't aware of that....
I have just been on holiday where it was in the 70's & since returning home where it is freezing cold my joints have flared up terrible.

so now I know why :) thanks for the information karen.
take good care :hug: karen x

·
Registered
21 Posts
We are here in N. Cali and it was the first time I have reacted to the weather. I thought my joints were going to pop out of my hands they hurt so bad! We have a couple of hours of dry weather until the next storm hits!

OUCH! Stacy

·
Registered
61 Posts
Hi Karen,
I'm on the Central Calif Coast and we got hit big time with the rain and winds. I know we desprerately need it ,but it is a change my body doesn't seem to like. Hang in there .you're not alone.
Kate...

·
11,409 Posts
(((Karen)))

Glad to hear you are getting the rain you need. Sorry to hear how the rainy weather is affecting you.

I can always tell my husband when the barometer is changing. Today it went up and now it is going down.:( I know the pain you are talking about. I have lots of pain plus my one arm is swollen.

:hug: I am hoping you weather will soon straighten out and your pain levels go down. Take care,
Love,
Lyn

·
Registered
1,563 Posts

Dear Karen

I am so sorry to hear that things are hurting badly for you:sad: This winter has been real hard on my arthritis in my hands and feet.I did get finally a anti imflamatory which is helping out some to but today when we went from 22 degrees yesterday all the way up to 44 degrees and damp.So i do to understand what you mean about this stupid weather and what it does to our pain levels.

Lyn i am so sorry to hear about your pain levels also your arm is swollen:sad: i cant even imagine what that is from but i sure hope it gets much better for you.
I been hearing that there is lots of flooding out in california and sure hope my fellow lupies are all okay:) .

Tammy

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Karen,

I have to agree with you! I live in Illinois and we all know what that means. Well, it used to anyway. Today, the temperature got up to the mid 60's....in JANUARY!! Yes, I said that I live in Illinois, not Florida. One look at the weather map and I can see that the weather is soon going to change. I can feel the aches coming on.

Nancy

·
Registered
250 Posts
Nice to finally have some rain tho ain't it? I HATE hot weather, the sun/heat is kinda like kryptonite is to superman with me. But the cold ain't much fun either, my joints are definitly feeling it. Had to find my pump to get water out of oour pool over the weekend...it was overflowing. Never had to do that last year! Hard to complain tho, my parents grew up in Wisconsin so I'm always hearing the storys from them.
Just checked the live cams in Yosemite and it looks beautiful. My wife and I got married there at the Awahnee, so I like to check out the meadow cam (got married in the meadow...in the Summer of course!). Last year they barely had any snow, even in the high Sierras, so nice to see them get some this year.
If anybody wants to see one pretty place........
http://www.yosemite.org/vryos/index.htm

Eric

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Eric,

Thank You for sharing this link. It is so beautiful!

Sandy

1 - 11 of 11 Posts